|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — 2 — "Old" San Mateo County Courthouse|
|In 1858, Simon M. Mezes donated land to the county so that a courthouse could be built. This is the third courthouse built on this exact site and the forth built in the property. In 1903, the architectural firm of Dodge and Dolliver designed a domed rotunda courthouse. It was completed and ready for occupancy when the 1906 earthquake demolished all but the domed rotunda. The courthouse was reconstructed between 1906 and 1910. The original facade was demolished in 1939 when a Modern style . . . — Map (db m32621) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — A. C. Argo|
|Principal of Sequoia High School
Superintendent of Sequoia Union High School District
1921 – 1948
In the room at the foot of this tower Mr. Argo and his Board shaped policies of enduring importance to the Sequoia Union High School District.
In appreciation of his central roll in bringing Sequoia High School to nationally recognized excellence and in fostering the growth of its rich heritage and proud tradition, this tower is dedicated to the memory of
Arnold Clarence Argo . . . — Map (db m41619) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Al Terremere — 1930-1951|
|Al Terremere is a member of the Sequoia Sports Hall of Fame as both an athlete and a coach. Al was All-League in both football and baseball during his Sequoia playing career, and captured multiple championships in both baseball and football as a Sequoia coach. Al was a very popular coach, mentor, motivator, and role model for the teams he coached. He is also a member of the Santa Clara University and San Mateo County Sports Hall of Fame. — Map (db m62605) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Alhambra Theater|
|The finest playhouse between San Francisco and San Jose opened here January 20, 1896. In 1921, the building was purchased by Redwood City Masonic Lodge which was instituted August 28, 1863. — Map (db m62625) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — California Square|
|This was a public plaza in the Mezesville townsite, and was a park until 1959 when it was given to San Mateo County for a Hall of Justice and Records. — Map (db m62577) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — California Square — The Path of History|
|California Square was a parcel of land located north of Marshall Street, between Hamilton and Winslow, diagonally located across the street from the Courthouse. The site was originally designated as a public park plaza in the Town of Mezesville survey of 1854 by Simon Mezes, who played a large part in the establishing of Redwood City and was the town’s first subdivider.
This was one of two blocks of land in the town site survey donated for public use by Mezes. The other piece of land at . . . — Map (db m62599) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Carrington Hall — Named in Honor of Otis M. Carrington — (1884 – 1964)|
|Otis M. Carrington is best remembered as one of the world’s foremost composers of operettas for children. In 1912, Mr. Carrington wrote “The Windmills of Holland”. It was the first of more than forty operettas to come from his hand, and led American music critics like Harold Rogers of the Christian Science Monitor to call him “The Leader of the Operatic Field of Educational Music”.
Mr. Carrington joined the teaching staff at Sequoia High School in 1907 as the art . . . — Map (db m41602) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Diller-Chamberlain Gen. Store/American Hotel-American House/Sequoia Hotel/Bank of San Mateo County — Redwood City - Path of History|
| (Four markers are mounted on this pedestal.)
Diller-Chamberlain General Store
(Quong Lee Laundry)
726 Main Street
J.V. Diller had this one-story brick building constructed in 1859 to house his general store, historically significant as San Mateo County’s oldest commercial building and the county’s first brick building. It is the sole remnant of Redwood City’s earliest days as a lumber town, as its location reflects the importance of Main Street as the first major . . . — Map (db m62623) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Diller's Island|
|Children and teachers
crossed footbridges to reach
the "Island" public school here from 1864 to 1895 — Map (db m60491) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Embarcadero Turning Basin Site — This is the site of the beginning of Redwood City! — The Path of History|
|You are standing over what was once Redwood City’s original waterfront, made up of creeks, tidal basins, and a fresh-water slough, providing the start of lumber, shipping and shipbuilding trades for the area. The tidal basins south of Bradford Street have since been filled, channeled, and culverted to serve contemporary needs and development. The green, decorative pavers on the street in front of you mark where Redwood Creek passes under Broadway.
The Embarcadero was comprised of two . . . — Map (db m62622) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Eureka Corner|
|A hotel on this site, owned by Harry N. Morse and Daniel W. Balch, was the site of the first town meeting in 1854. Residents rejected a Mezesville government. — Map (db m25569) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Fire Station No. 1|
|The Redwood City Volunteer Fire Department started in 1861, and was the first non-profit organization in San Mateo County. It wasn’t until 1921 when this building at 1044 Middlefield Road was built that the firefighters finally received a salary.
The original old firehouse, now the center of two wing additions with its arched central openings, loggia and classical ornamental details, is one of the best examples of Italian Renaissance style buildings in the area. The tile brickwork is . . . — Map (db m60490) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Former Site of Sequoia High School — The Path of History|
|Sequoia High School started September 16, 1895 with 53 students attending classes held on the third floor of the Redwood City Grammar School (replaced by the building now housing the Fox Theatre one block down Broadway). At that time, the building held all the school children of Redwood City with the elementary students occupying the first two floors. Upon opening, this was the only high school on the Peninsula between Santa Clara and San Francisco.
In 1904, a dedicated high school . . . — Map (db m62621) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Fox Theater|
|This property has been
Placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior
1928 — Map (db m41621) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial|
To the memory of California's Patriotic dead who served during the war for the Union
Erected by the grateful people of San Mateo
All honor to the nations defenders — Map (db m62672) WM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Lathrop House|
|A classic example of early "Steamboat Gothic" architecture erected in 1863 as the residence of San Mateo County's first Clerk, Recorder and Assessor, Benjamin G. Lathrop. Later the residence of General Patrick Edward Connor and Sheriff Joel Mansfield. — Map (db m25522) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House — The Path of History|
|This home housed three families of historical significance. B.G. Lathrop who had the house built in 1863 was San Mateo County’s first clerk-recorder and assessor, serving until 1864 when he became Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for San Mateo County. He was an original director, secretary and treasurer of the Southern Pacific, and was instrumental in bringing the railroad through Redwood City to San Jose.
General Patrick E. Connor, the second owner, was a Civil War general; his troops . . . — Map (db m62579) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — New Sequoia/Fox Theatre — Former site of the Central Grammar School — The Path of History|
|This block of Broadway underwent a number of major changes during the first half of the twentieth century.
It started out as the Central Grammar School in 1895 (legally named “Redwood City Public School”) shown at the left above. Part of a third floor building wing was set aside for the ninth grade, as nucleus for the proposed Sequoia High School. The town took great pride in this majestic building, and its central clock tower was a distinctive Downtown landmark. The building was . . . — Map (db m62580) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Old San Mateo County Courthouse — The Path of History|
|Simon M. Mezes, owner of the land that now includes most of Downtown Redwood City, donated a block to the newly-formed San Mateo County in 1858 so that a courthouse could be built. There were eventually four courthouses built on this property. Couthouse No. 2 photo above left, was completed in 1883, In 1903, the architectural firm of Dodge and Dolliver designed Courthouse No. 3, which was ready for occupancy when the 1906 earthquake demolished all but the dome rotunda. This building was . . . — Map (db m62598) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Redwood City Arch|
Climate Best by Government Test
This archway sign and slogan is based on the design of two earlier archway signs that once spanned the El Camino Real, designating the northern and southern entryways into Redwood City. A smaller scale replica of the original sign is located on Broadway near Spring Street.
In 1925, a slogan contest was held to promote Redwood City. Wilbur H. Doxsee submitted the winning entry: “By Government Test, Our Climate is Best” which . . . — Map (db m41623) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Redwood City War Memorial|
|World War 11
Corporal James Lindsay Wilson
V.F.W. Post No. 2310
to the following Redwood City men
who gave their lives in World War II
1941 – 1945
Raymond J. Barra • Russell V. Braca • Everett F. Bottena • Robert L. Carrenter • Franck L. Cary • Leon F. Dahl • Stanley W. Dodge • Julian Duncray • Charles H. Farry • Joseph R. Fox • Charles E. Fuller • Robert W. Furnas • James G. Gallegher • Angelo D. Golly • Joseph N. Gonzalea • Lawrence N. Green • Hubert G. . . . — Map (db m62846) WM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — S.M. Mezes|
|In memory of
Donor of this plaza
For the enjoyment
Of all people — Map (db m62602) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Sequoia Union High School|
Organized July 30,1895,
the first public High School
between San Francisco and San Jose
occupied its own building
on this site in 1904
Plaque donated by
The Exchange Club of Redwood City
1967 — Map (db m25526) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Sequoia Veterans Memorial|
|[Emblems of the California National Guard, United States Air Force, The United States Marine Corps, United States Army, United States Navy, United States Coast Guard, United States Merchant Marines are displayed across the top of the monument.
The emblem of Sequoia High School is displayed in the center.
Sequoia High School students who gave their lives while serving in the United States Armed Forces:
Kenneth Eugene Quinn ∙ Ted Gerald Sweeting ∙ Manfred Louis . . . — Map (db m26244) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Solari Family Windmill|
|This windmill was built in the 1880’s on the Solari farm, located at Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City.
It was move in the 1930’s to the new family farm located on Manzanita Street near Middlefield Road and the railroad tracks, two blocks east of its present day location. It was again moved in 1990 as the property had been sold. To save the windmill from being demolished, it was disassembled and reconstructed on the grounds of the Garfield School and later disassembled . . . — Map (db m62671) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Solari Windmill|
|This reconstructed windmill was originally built in the 1890's on the George Solari family farm which was located near Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City. When the area was subdivided in the 1930's, the windmill was moved to the new family farm located near Woodside Road and Middlefield Road.
In 1990, the windmill was relocated to Garfield School as part of a new agricultural program. In order to save the windmill from demolition, Jean Cloud and Jeri Joseph-Hover encouraged . . . — Map (db m25570) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Soledad O. de Arguello — 1897 - 1874|
| Left Side - English
She donated 59,000 acres of land for the benefit of all people.
Right Side - Spanish
Donadora de 59,000 acres par beneficio de la comunidad — Map (db m62575) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — 3 — The Pioneer Store — Diller-Chamberlain Store — Historic Trail Site #3|
Redwood City Historic Landmark No.2
National Register Historic District
This Brick Building was constructed in 1859 as a general store for J.V. Diller, who became Redwood City's first mayor in 1867. From 1875 until 1911, P.P. Chamberlain (County Treasurer 1882-1925) operated a Wells Fargo Agency from the store, which also served as county's treasurer's office. — Map (db m25528) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — The Tradition of Sequoia’s Class Plaques|
|Sequoia Union High School was founded in Redwood City in 1895, having two downtown locations before moving to the present site in 1924. With the exception of the Class of 1917, the tradition of installing graduation year plaques began with the first class to graduate from this location. Each succeeding class added its own plaque, some with time capsules underneath. Mosaic plaques were used during World War II when metal was not available. Original placement was near the front entrance but due . . . — Map (db m55258) HM|
|California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — 816 — Union Cemetery|
|Union Cemetery's name reflects the controversy that erupted in the Civil War, three years after the cemetery's beginnings in 1859. Pro- and anti- slavery feelings ran high in California, and the founders of the cemetery strongly opposed the secessionist sentiment that threatened the nation's unity. Because of a controversy over the cemetery's ownership, the state enacted its first cemetery legislation, although its provisions did not affect Union Cemetery. The law of 1859 allowed for the . . . — Map (db m3296) HM|