|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 57-3 — Berry Schools' Old Mill|
|From the mill’s construction in 1930 , students under the supervision of a miller used the Old Mill to produce corn meal and food stuffs for the Berry Schools. The Republic Mining and Manufacturing Company donated the iron hub, while students built the water wheel. At 42 feet in diameter, this is one of the nation’s largest overshot waterwheels. Berry’s reservoir lake supplies water to the wheel. Gravity pushes water up the stone column and over the wheel, turning it. The Old Mill has been . . . — Map (db m9488) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 57-1 — Chieftains|
|At this house’s core is the 1790s log home of Major Ridge (c.1771-1839), a leader in the Cherokee Nation. His 223-acre plantation supported numerous outbuildings, orchards and slaves while the family served as ferryboat operators and merchants. It was here the council negotiated the Treaty of New Echota in 1835, which promised the Cherokees land
compensation for voluntarily moving to Oklahoma. Their forced removal became known as the "Trail of Tears." Ridge knew death was imminent for selling . . . — Map (db m14981) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-6 — Davis’ March to Rome|
|May 16, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.C. Davis’ div. (14th A.C.) [US] left Sugar Valley via roads west of the Oostanaula River to outflank Johnston’s forces [CS] retreating from Resaca.
Davis had been informed that Farmer’s Bridge on Armuchee Cr. was an Oostanaula crossing. Learning otherwise at Floyd Springs, he reported same to Thomas, who ordered Davis to return to Lay’s Ferry; instead, Davis kept on toward Rome, reaching DeSoto Hill, May 17.
The river was crossed under fire, May 18, & the . . . — Map (db m30825) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-16 — De Soto In Georgia|
|In May 1539 Hernando de Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd of swine reserved for famine. Fired by his success in Pizarro's conquest of Peru. De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of Spain, to explore, then govern, southeastern North America.
After wintering in Tallahassee, the De Soto expedition set out on a quest for gold which eventually spanned four years and crossed portions of nine states. This was the first recorded European . . . — Map (db m30462) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — Ellen Louise Axson Wilson — Wife of the 28th President of the United States|
|Born in Savannah, Georgia, May 15, 1860
Moved to Rome, Georgia, March 1866
Graduated from Rome Female College, 1876
Attended New York Art Students League, 1884-1885
Her father, The Rev. Mr. Samuel Edward Axson was pastor of Rome’s First Presbyterian Church, 1866-1883, where Woodrow Wilson first saw her, April 8, 1883. They were married in Savannah, June 24th, 1885. The Wilsons were parents of three daughters.
A gifted painter she contributed to humanitarian causes, including . . . — Map (db m39430) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-7 — Federal Occupation of Rome|
|May 18, 1864. Davis’ div., (14th A.C.) [US], moving from Resaca via W. bank of the Oostanaula, forced passage of the river against Confederate opposition & captured the city.
Davis’ seizure of Rome was incident to a move E. toward Kingston upon the flank of Johnston’s forces [CS] retreating from Resaca, but the military situation having changed by May 23, Davis column was diverted to Dallas in support of McPherson’s troops on that front.
Davis’ div. left Rome for Dallas (Paulding Co.) May . . . — Map (db m30826) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-10 — Floyd County|
|Floyd County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee County. Originally, it included parts of Chattooga, Polk and Gordon Counties. Early settlers came from Tenn., S.C., and older parts of Ga. The county was named for Maj. Gen. John Floyd (1794-1829), Legislator, Congressman, Gen. of Ga. Militia, Commander of Ga. troops against the Creeks in 1813 and Commander of troops at Savannah. First officers of Floyd County, commissioned March 18, 1833, were: Andrew H. Johnston, Sheriff; Edwin . . . — Map (db m30671) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-8 — French’s Div. at Rome|
|May 16, 1864. Maj. Gen. S.G. French, in person, reached Rome from Ala., enroute with his div. (Polk’s A.C.), to join Johnston’s army [CS] at Cassville. Sears’ brigade was sent to Kingston that night.
May 17. Ector’s, resisting Davis’ approach on the Armuchee rd., was sent across the Oostanaula with Ross’ & J. T. Morgan’s cav. Cockrell's brigade arrived at dark & went on to Kingston. Ector was withdrawn at midnight -- leaving a small force to defend the city.
French made a token defense, . . . — Map (db m30828) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 57-2 — General Thomas Edwin Greenfield Ransom 1834-1864|
|Thomas E.G. Ransom enlisted as captain of Company E, 11th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in 1861. Wounded four times, he won honors at Ft.Donelson, Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Red River. Rising steadily through the ranks, Ransom lead 17th Corps, Army of The Tennessee in the battle of Jonesboro serving the last railroad into Atlanta. His infantry then pursued Confederate General John B. Hood northward. Stricken with typhoid fever , Ransom died here at the home of John Berryhill on October 29, 1864. He . . . — Map (db m54687) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-1 — Georgia’s Paul Revere|
|Along this road John H. Wisdom rode from Gadsden, Ala. to warn that a Federal force of over 2,000 men was approaching Rome to occupy the town, destroy foundries making ammunition for the Confederates and to cut Confederate communications (May 2, 1863).
On Wisdom’s arrival in Rome the bridge over the Oostanaula river was fortified and made ready for burning as a last resort. Wisdom’s warning and the plans for defense played a big part in the surrender of Col. Streight [US] with 1,500 men . . . — Map (db m30626) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-3 — Hermitage|
|Home of Joseph Watters (1792 - 1866), pioneer settler in Floyd County; an admirer of Andrew Jackson, he named it 'Hermitage.' A settlement of that name is 1mi. S. E. May 17, 18, 1864: Brig. Gen. K. Garrard's (2d) div. of Elliott's Cavalry Corps, Army of the Cumberland (US), moved down this road from near Calhoun to strike the Rome R.R. west of Kingston. Operating on the right wing of McPherson's Army of the Tennessee (US), Garrard turned S.E. here & reached Barnsley's ~ noon, May 18, in . . . — Map (db m11455) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — Major Ridge|
|Principal Chief of the Cherokee Tribe of Indians, moved to this spot about 1794 and built this dwelling. Modernized by later owners.
His ferry & trading post made this farm a tribal center. Here was negotiated final treaty for the Cherokee removal, 1835 – 1838 — Map (db m15071) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-9 — Martha Berry’s Birthplace — »——→|
|Martha Berry, founder of the Berry Schools, was born and lived here at “Oak Hill.” Daughter of Capt. Tom Berry, wealthy plantation owner, she devoted her life to providing educational opportunities for the children of her less fortunate neighbors in the mountains. The school grew under her direction from a small log cabin on the plantation in 1900 to a 30,000 acre campus. More than 15,000 students have received their educations in the day school at Possum Trot, the Girls School, . . . — Map (db m31330) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — Opera Alley|
|Opera Alley was a walkway adjacent to the Nevin Opera House at 321 Broad Street. The opera house, which opened in September of 1880, was built by Mr. M.A. Nevin. The alley, donated to the city by Mr. Nevin was officially declared a city thoroughfare so that the performers, stagehands and suppliers might enter and leave the opera house without having to pass through the box office and parquet sections.
Until the early 1900's, it was Rome's principle center of entertainment, ranging from the . . . — Map (db m12318) HM|
|Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — 057-15 — Original Cabin|
|This cabin, birthplace of The Berry Schools, (now Berry College and Berry Academy) was built as a playhouse for Martha Berry and her brothers and sisters shortly after the Civil War. Here, in the late 1800’s, three small boys from Lavendar Mountain received Martha Berry’s first Sunday School lesson. Word of her kindness and interest spread and soon the cabin was overflowing with people. In the evolution from this modest beginning to a day school at Possum Trot, a boarding school and finally a . . . — Map (db m31331) HM|