Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sharon, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Blairsville Schools Marker Reverse image, Click for more information
By Anna Inbody, January 28, 2012
Blairsville Schools Marker Reverse
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — Blairsville Schools
(Front) Blairsville Schools 1818 ~ 1819 The Earliest known school in the Blairsville Area was one headed by R.Y. Russell. Conducted in a converted corn crib on the farm of James Hogg, about one mile from this site. 1830 ~ 1867 About . . . — Map (db m52108) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-2 — Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church
Under leadership of Dr. Joseph Alexander, pastor 1774-1801, this church, organized in 1769, was a Whig stronghold during the Revolution. Three hundred yards west is the site of one of the earliest academies in upper South Carolina, . . . — Map (db m24535) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-33 — Dickey - Sherer House
[Front]: A two-story log house built ca. 1771 for John Dickey (1703-1789) stood about 100 yds. NE until 1988, when it was moved to Kings Mountain State Park. Dickey, a native of Ireland, emigrated to Virginia with his wife Martha McNeely . . . — Map (db m24533) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-32 — First National Bank of Sharon
[Front]: This bank, built in 1909-10 by W.W. Blair, was the first bank in the town of Sharon, incorporated in 1889. Its first officers were J.H. Saye, president; J.L. Rainey, vice president; and A.M. Haddon, cashier. From 1910 to 1929 . . . — Map (db m24529) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — 46-12 — Town of Sharon / Sharon
Town of Sharon John L. Rainey, owner of large tracts of land on which Sharon was established, conveyed land to the Presbyterian church in 1889 and 1898, the Methodists in 1897, and the Methodist Episcopal Zion church in 1904. The First National . . . — Map (db m24531) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — Town of Sharon Stone Marker
According to tradition, after the Battle of Kings Mountain, troops led by Colonel Edward Lacey retired to the high hills of Bullock's Creek. In 1876 York historian Rev. Robert Lathan fixed that location to be north of Scott's Mill, about five miles . . . — Map (db m24532) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement