|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 643 — "Old Town"|
|The oldest settlement in Tehachapi Valley, known as 'Old Town,' was established here during the 1860s. It was long an important station on the road between Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley, the community began to decline when residents gradually removed to nearby Greenwich, later renamed Tehachapi, after completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1876. — Map (db m11913) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 28 — 1915 Street Dance Mural|
|A street dance held in 1915 commemorated the first electric streetlights installed in Tehachapi. The site of the dance was the corner of Green and F Street. The building there housed the Masonic Lodge and Post Office in 1915, and the mural shows the type of streetlight actually installed in 1915. Faces of current local residents, and those from the history of Tehachapi, were chosen to incorporate into the scene. The faces represent five former mayors and other old-time residents, as well as . . . — Map (db m53119) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 16 — Arrastra at Railroad Park|
|The arrastra was a very primitive way of milling or crushing gold ore, using a mule walking in a circle and “drag” stones, a method brought to the New World by the Spaniards. The Tehachapi Heritage League moved the arrastra to this location stone by stone. This arrastra was in danger of being eroded and destroyed by runoff water at its original site at Water Canyon Creek — Map (db m50254) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 3 — August Weferling House|
|Located on the northeast corner of "D" and Green Streets, this house was built in 1880 by August Weferling. The redwood tree in front was planted the day he married his second wife, Luella Duty Weferling (an early Tehachapi businesswoman), in 1905. — Map (db m52801) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 6 — B.M. Denison House & 1880's House|
| B.M.Denison House - Located on the northeast corner of "D" and Curry Streets, this house was constructed entirely from cedar wood in 1898 by B.M. Denison. He planted the first commercial Barlett Pear orchard along Curry Street.
1880s House - Located on the southeast corner of "D" and Curry Streets, this house was built in the late 1880s. — Map (db m52811) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 20 — Beekay Theatre — Dedicated on the day, December 6, 2008 — City of Tehachapi - Respecting Our Past – Planning Our Future|
|Originally opened in 1936, the Beekay Theatre survived the historic earthquake of 1952 and endured a number of façade changes before burning in the 1990’s. The reconstruction preserves the original façade behind, which lies a fully modern theatre.
The City of Tehachapi would like to thank the Duplan Family Trust for the generous donation of the building in 1999.
Restoration efforts could not been possible without the talent and vision of our partner, Tehachapi Community Theatre. . . . — Map (db m52969) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 8 — Early High School|
|This house was built by Dr. Russell Peery in the 1890s. It was originally constructed in Cummings Valley for use as a hotel and spa. Later dismantled, it was moved to the present site. In 1928, it was used as a high school, and continued until conventional high school buildings were completed. The building retains its original high ceilings. — Map (db m52813) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 2 — Errea House|
|The Erra family occupied this dwelling for 75 years. The structure was built by a doctor in "Old Town" (or "Tehichipa") 4 miles west of Tehachapi between 1870 and 1875. It was moved to this location on log rollers about 1900. It is the only surviving structure from the Tehichipa settlement. The Erra House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 29, 1997. — Map (db m52800) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 4 — First Methodist & Episcopal Church|
|The first Methodist & Episcopal Church in Tehachapi was built here in 1881. It was later torn down and the present house was built with the wood from the church. — Map (db m52802) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 18 — Former Richfield Service Station|
|The Richfield Service Station was built here in 1921 by Jack and "Doro" (Theodore) Leiva, who operated the station and adjoining cabins for travelers for over 50 years. It was named the Bartlett Richfield Station due to the many Bartlett Pear trees being planted in the area at the time. Earlier, this was the site of the first town dump. — Map (db m52895) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 12 — Gallinger House|
|Built by Joe Gallinger in 1880, it was purchased in 1926 by Jim and Lucinda (Callie) Wiggins Brite. Upon Lucinda's death in 1944, the Davis family purchased the house. It was customary to drive sheep and cattle along Curry Street to the railroad stockyard on "G" Street (now Tehachapi Boulevard) for shipment by rail. — Map (db m52890) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 23 — Hitching Post Theatre|
|This building was contructed after the 1952 earthquake to house a post office, a department store, an electric shop, a variety store and a drug store. The photo shows the two-story frame hotel (formerly the Old Summit School, which was moved to this site from North Curry Street in the early "1900s"). It survived the earthquake, and the upper floor was moved from this site to make way for the new construction. It was moved to "C" Street and became the Garage for a time. — Map (db m52968) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 5 — McFarland House & Late 1880s House|
McFarland House - Located on the northwest corner of "D" and Green Streets, this house was built in the late 1800s by the McFarland family, who operated a sawmill and box factory in Tehachapi, circa 1890.
Late 1880s House - Located on the southwest corner of "D" and Green Streets, this house was built in the late 1880s. — Map (db m52810) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Monolith — California|
1906-1914: City of Los Angeles builds and operates plant to make cement for Los Angeles Aqueduct and also constructs town named Aqueduct to house workers and families.
1910: Aqueduct train station and post office are renamed Monolith.
1920: U.S. Potash Co. leases plant from City of Los Angeles.
1921-1989: Monolith Portland Cement Co. is created, buys and operates plant.
1923: Coy Burnett buys out Monolith partners, becomes President and owner. . . . — Map (db m52988) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 97 — Oak Creek Pass — California Historical Landmark|
|Father Francisco Garces used the Oak Creek Pass in 1776 to return to the Mojave after exploring the San Joaquin Valley, as did Fremont in 1844-45. Until the building of the railroad through the Tehachapi Pass in 1876, Oak Creek Pass was the only route used through the Tehachapi Mountains. — Map (db m50250) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 13 — Odd Fellows Hall|
|Built as the Odd Fellows Hall in the early 1930's, it was later used as a movie theatre, dance hall and labor union hall. It was once owned by St. Malachy Church and used as a church hall (1949-53). The structure survived the 1952 earthquake intact, and then housed the Red Cross, the telephone company, and a department store, among other temporarily "displaced business." It was then sold to become the Santa Fe Hotel, and later became a private residence (known as the Talmarc Building). It is currently known as the Door of Hope Building. — Map (db m52892) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 11 — Original site of the First Catholic Church in 1887|
|The present, remodeled bank building was constructed in 1936 as the second St. Malchy Church. In the early 1980's the structure was sold to the newly formed Sierra National Bank, which was acquired by the Bank of the Sierra in May 2000. — Map (db m52888) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 7 — Peery House|
|This house was built by Dr. Russell Peery in 1890. He owned a drug store in Tehachapi and was noted for having developed the "gold cure" for arthritis. It later became the residence of Albert Ancker, a long time banker who was a President of the Bank of Tehachapi. — Map (db m52812) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 25 — People of the Mountains — The Nuwa Tribe|
|In this village scene from before contact with the white man, women weave baskets and grind foodstuffs in bedrock mortars. Children play games, as the men make tools and weave rabbit pelt blankets. The border shows more recent members and elders of the tribe, and baskets for which the local Indians were known.
The background includes local pictographs, a natural lake and the natural vegetation still visible in the area, such as cattails and rushes. The domed huts are called kahni, which means house in the Kawaiisu or Nüwa language. — Map (db m52990) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 26 — Red Front Blacksmith Shop Mural|
|The original Red Front Blacksmith Shop was located directly across the street from this mural. The workers pictured represent many local ranching families. The images in the ovals next to the buildings show scenes from Tehachapi's ranching history.
The outside ovals show working blacksmiths in their shops. All images were taken from old photographs. A few well-known, local cattle brands and the names of the ranches are shown in the box below.
Painted by Lyn Bennett - 2006 assisted by Brenda Anderline — Map (db m53116) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 22 — Site of Bank of Tehachapi|
|The first bank in Tehachapi was incorporated on October 11, 1892, in a dry goods store on "G" Street (now Tehachapi Boulevard). The founder and first President of the Bank of Tehachapi ws Isadore Asher, who operated the bank in the rear of this store. The bank relocated to a brick building on this site in 1906. After the building was destroyed in the 1952 earthquake, the current building on the site housed the Farrar Insurance Agency. — Map (db m52966) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 15 — Site of the Kessing Building|
|On this site, the first frame building in Tehachapi was built by Mary and Bernard Kessing. They replaced the original wooden building in 1905 with a beautiful brick building named the Kessing Building, which was destroyed in the 1952 earthquake. A stone plaque above the doorway on the corner commemorated the name and completion date of the building. — Map (db m53123) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 9 — Tehachapi Hospital|
|Originally built by Jean Capdeville as a rooming house, it was later sold to Drs. Madge and Harold Schlotthauer in 1934. It was then used as a hospital until the 1952 earthquake. Although badly damaged, no lives were lost in the hospital. The large trees were planted before the Capdevilles built the rooming house. When the Schlotthauers rebuilt the hospital after the earthquake, they stipulated that the trees were not to be cut down. — Map (db m52819) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 508 — Tehachapi Loop|
|From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned “Loop.” It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000 foot train will cross 77 feet above its rear cars in tunnel below. — Map (db m11903) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 27 — Tehachapi Loop Mural|
|The Tehchapi Loop put Tehachapi on the map when it was completed in 1876. Before that time there was no rail access across the Tehachapi Mountains. The historic Loop is pictured here, circa 1952, with a trompe l'oeil effect showing damage to the building due to the historic 1952 earthquake. The wall upon which the mural is painted appears to be cracking open from the force of the earthquake. The Loop is pictured in late summer colors, rather than the usual greens that are only seen for a short . . . — Map (db m53117) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 1 — Tehachapi Museum|
|This structure was built in 1932 as the Kern County Branch Library. When a new library was constructed in 1981, the County gave the old building to the City of Tehachapi with the stipulation that it be used as a public building. In 1982 the City leased it to the Tehachapi Heritage League to be used as a museum. — Map (db m52668) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass|
|Tehachapi Pass became the preferred route connecting the Mojave and the San Joaquin Valley after John C. Fremont and Kit Carson passed this way during the 2nd Fremont Expedition in 1844. Situated at the southern edge of the Sierra Nevada, Tehachapi Pass provided a reliable way to enter and leave the San Joaquin Valley during the winter.
In 1853, while surveying the area for the U.S. Government, Lt. R.S. Williamson learned from the Indian villagers the name of the principal creek that . . . — Map (db m51786) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass Railroad Line — Constructed 1874 – 1876 — Commemorated October 1998|
|In front of you is the world famous Tehachapi Loop which is about halfway upgrade to the Tehachapi Pass. This steep line averages 2.2% in gradient in its 28 miles of length. This feat of civil engineering genius was crowning achievement of civil engineer William Hood of the Southern Pacific Railway Company. It is one of the seven wonders of the railroad world.
The Tehachapi Pass Railroad Line was cut through solid and decomposed granite by up to 3000 Chinese laborers from Canton, China. They . . . — Map (db m11910) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 29 — T-Hacha-P Brand Mural|
|The "T-Hacha-P" logo was taken from an early fruit crate label. The steam powered combine shown is followed by a horse drawn water wagon, with Tehachapi Peak in the background. Jake Jacobsen, a former mayor and civic leader, along with his brother Rolf, built this seed-packing shed.
The funnel still seen on the roof of the building, directed seeds into a hopper, which you can see inside the building. In the past, Tehachapi has seen the production of seeds for many diverse crops. . . . — Map (db m53115) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Great Flood of 1932 and Engine No. 3834|
|On September 30th torrential rains flooded Tehachapi Creek, undermining the tracks under Santa Fe Engine No. 3834 which was waiting out the storm about ½ mile east of Woodward Station. The engine disappeared into the raging water below. It remained “lost” for two weeks, hidden under 10 feet of mud. It took one month to free the severely damaged engine. Its bell was never found. Almost three years after the flood the newly refurbished engine was returned to service with people . . . — Map (db m11912) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Legend of Avelino Martinez|
|Avelino Martinez was of Mexican, Indian and Chinese descent, four feet-four inches tall and thirteen years of age when he came with a group of drovers to the United States from Sonora, Mexico, searching for his father. He worked as a groom for horses in one of legendary outlaw Joaquin Murrieta's four horse gangs. Members would capture wild horses and then drive them back to the Sonora area of Mexico where rich ranchers were a ready market.
Most of Martinez's life from 1853, when Murrieta . . . — Map (db m52918) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 17 — The Muro House|
|This was the first house constructed in Tehachapi, built in 1877 by Fred Boden. It was occupied from 1895 to 1940 by Mr. and Mrs. T.P. Sullivan. He was the Southern Pacific Roadmaster and was elected to Tehachapi's first Board of Trustees in 1909.
Designated a "landmark" by the Tehachapi City Council the house takes its name from the Jose Muro family, who lived in the house for many years. — Map (db m52893) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Tehachapi Museum|
|City of Tehachapi
Respecting Our Past – Planning Our Future
The Tehachapi Museum
Dedicated On May 22, 2010
Built in 1931 in the Art Deco style, this building originally housed the Kern County Library and was later given to the City. The Tehachapi Heritage League relocated the Museum to this site in 1982 through a long-term partnership with the City of Tehachapi. The current renovation and addition were made possible through the assistance of the City of Tehachapi and . . . — Map (db m52829) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 10 — Two 1890's Houses|
|These two houses were constructed in the 1890's. One structure was built by R.D.Williamson and the other by Fred Boden. — Map (db m52669) HM|
|California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Why Tehachapi Pass? / Pioneers of the Wind / Hike A Mile or Two - Thousand|
| First Panel:
Why Tehachapi Pass?
1) Close to Energy Users
The proximity of Tehachapi Pass to the Los Angeles Basin makes it an attractive location for wind power development, as it reduces the length, cost, and environmental impact of the required transmission lines. Power from numerous wind farms in the East Kern Wind Resource Area is conditioned at Southern California Edison’s Windhub substation and sent south on 500,000 Volt transmission lines of . . . — Map (db m63166)|