|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Anchor from Freighter Grand Camp — Texas City Disaster|
|9:12 a. m., April 16, 1947, the French freighter Grand Camp exploded, setting off a disaster that killed 576, injured 5,000 and destroyed $67 million in property. This 10,640 pound anchor was found buried 1/2 mile from the scene of the explosion. — Map (db m36160) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 204 — Booker T Washington School|
|Public education for African American students in Texas City began in 1915. The Texas City Independent School District hired Mrs. J. R. McKellar to teach the students; classes were held in churches and lodge halls until 1937, when the district purchased this property and moved a one-story wooden building to the site. |
For many years, Booker T. Washington School offered instruction only through grade seven, so students traveled to Galveston to complete their education. A brick schoolhouse . . . — Map (db m52654) HM
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — F-100F North American Super Sabre|
|Military aviation evolved
from those primitive beginnings
Of military "flying machines" in service prior to
the First World Way and used for training
in Texas City in 1913. The F-100F United States Air
Force fighter represents the highly
sophisticated military aircraft used during
the Vietnam conflict. Placed into service in
1957, this aircraft flew in combat and training
missions over Vietnam,
Japan, Libya and Germany.
Aircraft on loan from the
Unites States Air . . . — Map (db m50172) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — First Aero Squadron|
|First tactical air unit, U. S. Army; was stationed here 1913-1915 during U. S. border troubles caused by revolution in Mexico. The 7 planes, 5 officers, and 21 enlisted men were not in combat, but made aerial maps and achieved a long distance flight record. — Map (db m36184) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 13227 — First Baptist Church of Texas City|
|On March 16, 1905, five Texas City residents met for worship and Bible study. The Rev. D.L. Griffith assisted them in founding Texas City's First Baptist Church. The Rev. W.C. Ponder served as pastor for the first decade, during which time services were held in private homes. The growing congregation met at different sites until the early 1950s, when it built a sanctuary at this site. During its first 100 years, the congregation endured the 1915 hurricane, the Great Depression and the 1947 . . . — Map (db m52653) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Old Bay Lake Ranch|
|Established by Guy M. Bryan (1821-1901), nephew of Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas." Bryan was one of couriers for Wm. B. Travis's Alamo letter. Served in State Legislature (where he was a Speaker of the House) and U. S. Congress. Aide to Confederate President Davis and a colonel in army in Civil War. — Map (db m50278) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Propeller of the SS Highflyer|
|The SS Highflyer exploded in the Main Slip on 4-17-1947 after being set on fire by the SS Grandchamp which exploded in the North Slip on 4-16-1947. It is dedicated in memory of those who died and in honor of those who survived to make Texas City a safer and better place in which to live and work.
April 16, 1987
Texas City Terminal Railway Co.
K.L. Demaet,President — Map (db m52768) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — S.S. Grandcamp Anchor|
|This anchor was blown from the S.S. Grandcamp when this ship blew up on April 16, 1947, while moored at Texas City Terminal docks. The anchor, which weighed approximately 3200 lbs. originally, was projected from the ship to a point on Pan American property at 2000-S and 2160-E, sinking about 10 feet into the soil in landing. The distance traveled from the ship to point of landing was 1.62 miles or 8575 lin. ft. — Map (db m50168) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Shoal Point and Half Moon Shoal Lighthouse|
|A number of families settled along Galveston Bay in the 1830s after land grants were awarded to veterans of the republic of Texas army and navy. An early community at this site became known officially as Shoal Point in 1878 when a U. S. Post Office was established. It was renamed Texas City in 1893. The commencement of shipping in Galveston Bay led to increased settlement in the area. In 1854 the U. S. Government erected a lighthouse in the bay two miles east of Shoal Point at Half Moon . . . — Map (db m50276) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 9928 — Site of Austinia|
|Empresario Stephen F. Austin urged Mexico to improve foreign trade by establishing ports in the Galveston area as early as 1825. Historical references suggest Austinia was settled in the 1830s as part of Austin's foreign trade efforts in this area. The original site of Austinia was located on coastal property owned by Austin one mile north of this site. After Austin's death in 1836 his sister, Emily Austin Bryan Perry, became sole proprietor of the village of Austinia.
In 1837 George L. . . . — Map (db m50277) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 11890 — Sociedad Mutualista Mexicana in Texas City|
|In the 1870s native Tejanos organized Sociedades Mutualistas, mutual aid societies designed to protect their interests from the growing Anglo population of Texas. Although most of the early settlers of this area were of English, French, and German descent, increasing numbers of Mexican immigrants arrived in 1893 when construction began on the city's port facilities. In 1910 the Texas City census revealed a significant Hispanic populace.
In March 1914, under the auspices of Texas . . . — Map (db m50167) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 11574 — Texas City|
|This community traces its origin to settlement by a few families along the bayshore in the mid-1800s. Completion in 1854 of the Half Moon Shoal Lighthouse, a Federal project near the present day Texas City Dike, hastened the formation of a village which in 1878 added a post office under the name Shoal Point.
In 1891-1892 Minnesota investors chose Shoal Point as the future site of a port and industrial center and asked their friend Frank Davison to manage the venture. By the end of 1893 the . . . — Map (db m52591) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Texas City Dike|
|In early efforts to develop a major port here on Galveston Bay, Texas City capitalists, acting against the advice of engineers, dug a ship channel directly through and across the Bay's natural water line. As a result, currents carried silt into the man-made channel that required constant dredging to keep the waters navigable. To solve this problem, the Texas City dike was designed to divert the flow of silt by deflecting the waters of Galveston Bay out to the Gulf of Mexico. With the help of . . . — Map (db m36180) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 11577 — Texas City Memorial Cemetery|
|On April 16 and 17, 1947, disastrous explosions aboard two ships docked at the Texas City port killed hundreds of people. In the weeks that followed, relief workers led by the American Red Cross and other volunteers labored to identify the victims.
Temporary morgues were set up in the Central High school gymnasium and at Camp Wallace, a former Army post. Eventually, 444 people were confirmed dead, and an additional 143 were listed as missing. Sixty-three bodies were never identified. . . . — Map (db m50169) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Texas City Terminal Railway Company|
|Minnesota investors and brothers Jacob R. and Henry H. Myers and Augustus B. Wolvin formed the Texas City Improvement Company in 1893 and developed a port facility and townsite here. By 1897 the company had built a rail spur line linking its port facilities with national railroad systems 4.5 miles inland. Wolvin acquired the company in 1898 and created the separate Texas City Company for the townsite and the Texas City Terminal Company (TCT) for the railway and docks. He persuaded the U. S. . . . — Map (db m52772) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 15269 — The First Texas City Refinery|
|The first oil refinery built in Texas City was established in 1908 by the Texas City Refining Company. Contractor J. C. Black and more than 100 craftsmen constructed the refinery. Processing equipment included eleven stills, storage tanks, and a boiler house. Railroad tank cars delivered crude oil for processing. The finished product was shipped by rail or carried by pipeline to the Texas City docks for loading on seagoing tankers. Through the years more land was purchased, extra storage . . . — Map (db m36158) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — The Texas City Disaster|
|On April 16, 1947, three ships--the "Grandcamp", the "High Flyer", and the "Wilson B. Keene"--were docked in the Texas City port. They were loaded with cargo, including ammonium nitrate fertilizer, bound for Europe to assist in the Post-World War II recovery effort. At 8:33 a. m. the Texas City fire department responded to a call for assistance with a fire on the "Grandcamp". As smoke billowed from the ship, spectators gathered to watch. The "Grandcamp" exploded at 9:12 a. m. with a tremendous . . . — Map (db m52773) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — Wedell's Corner — 9th Street and 4th Ave. South — (On Early Trail into Texas City)|
|Site, childhood home of Jimmy (1900-1934) and Walter (1901-1935) Wedell - aviation pioneers. Jimmy designed, built, raced planes with financier Harry Williams Operated early airline at time of death in crash, held world's land plane speed record. Walter died in a later air disaster. — Map (db m50279) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 7499 — William Jefferson Jones — (September 27, 1810 - May 5, 1897)|
|Virginia native William Jefferson Jones received his license to practice law at age 19. He was an associate of Mirabeau B. Lamar, future president of the Republic of Texas, in a Georgia newspaper enterprise. Urged by Lamar to move to Texas, Jones traveled to Galveston in 1837 and in 1839 joined Lamar's military campaign to remove the Cherokee Indians from East Texas.
Chosen as associate justice to the Texas Republic's first Supreme Court about 1840, Jones would later render the court's . . . — Map (db m50275) HM|