|California (Nevada County), Truckee — “The Tin Can” ----------- “Dot’s Place” — 10116 Jibboom –----------------- 10098 Jibboom|
|The two modern buildings replaced structures built in the early 20th Century and were used in two of Truckee’s notorious industries • Bootlegging and prostitution. They upheld a tradition begun on this street in the 1870’s. Many a thirst was slaked and need fulfilled because of these building’s contents. Politely ignored, although they never failed because of lack of business, they operated until mid century to serve the working men of this and surrounding communities. Changing commercial . . . — Map (db m60889) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Boca Townsite|
Boca's Railroad Roots
From 1866-68, the Central Pacific Railroad was laying tracks over the Sierra Nevada working to complete its portion of the nation's first transcontinental railroad. The railroad's Construction Camp 17, here, at the junction of the Little Truckee and Truckee Rivers, soon became known as Boca ("mouth" in Spanish).
In 1868, a lumber mill was established at Boca to help supply wood for the railroad. A dam was constructed across the Little Truckee River, creating . . . — Map (db m62048) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Chief Truckee|
| The legendary Paiute leader; friend and guide; breveted a “Captain” by John C. Fremont; gave his name to this valley, river and town: died near Payton, Nevada, in 1860. — Map (db m60320) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — China Wall of the Sierra|
|Charles Crocker, Construction Chief of the Central Pacific Railroad (CPRR), contracted for a workforce of approximately 12,000 Chinese laborers to push the CPRR tracks over its Trans-Sierra Crossing on its race east to a meet with the Union Pacific at Promontory, Utah Territory. A railroad retaining wall and fill, constructed of Sierra granite, stand silently above on the pass as a lasting monument to the Asian “Master Builders” who left an indelible mark on the history of California and the West. — Map (db m23564) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Donner Camp Site|
|On October 28, 1846 the six covered wagons brought west by George and Jacob Donner and their families halted here for repairs. By March of 1847 one half of the party of 22 adults and children had died of starvation and cold. They came west seeking a new life and found misery and death. — Map (db m60507) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — 134 — Donner Party|
|Near this spot stood the Breen cabin of the party of emigrants who started for California from Springfield, Illinois, in April 1846, under the leadership of Captain George Donner. Delays occurred and when the party reached this locality, on October 29, the Truckee Pass Emigrant Road was concealed by snow. The height of the shaft of the monument indicates the depth of the snow, which was twenty-two feet. After futile efforts to cross the summit the party was compelled to encamp for the winter. . . . — Map (db m11594) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Donner Party — 1846 – 1847|
|The face of this rock formed the north end and the fireplace of the Murphy cabin. General Stephan W. Kearny, on June 22, 1847, buried, under the middle of the cabin the bodies found in the vicinity. Following is a complete list of the members of the Donner Party who occupied the various cabins and tents.
Column 1 – Deceased:
George Donner, Tamsen Donner, Jacob Donner, Elizabeth Donner, Isaac Donner, Lewis Donner, Samuel Donner, Sarah Keyes, Luke Halloran, John Snyder, Mr. . . . — Map (db m11600) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Donner Party Camp at Alder Creek Valley / Tamsen and Elizabeth Donner|
| Donner Party Camp at Alder Creek Valley
In the Fall of 1846, 25 Members of The Donner Party became Trapped by an Early Snowstorm here at Alder Creek Valley. The George and Jacob Donner Families, their Teamsters, and Fellow Travelers Suffered Extreme Hardship and Starvation. They Spent the Winter Here Cut Off from the Rest of Their Party who Camped at Donner Lake. Only 11 Survived the Ordeal. Their Survival, Against Desperate Odds, Stands as a Testament to the Enduring Pioneer Spirit the . . . — Map (db m60303) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Donner Pass — Who Passed This Way|
|For thousands of years, people have crossed the Sierra Nevada near this place called Donner Pass.
Traveling by foot, wagon, train or automobile, the journey has always been challenging.
Long before it’s “discovery” by Euro-Americans, this 7,000 foot pass was used as a travel corridor by Native Americans.
The Washoe Indians trekked through the area, from their Great Basin home enroute to the foothills of California, to gather acorns and to trade. They . . . — Map (db m23571) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — First Log Cabin|
|Erected by Joseph Gray at S.W. corner of present day Bridge and Spring Streets to serve Dutch Flat Wagon Road traffic over Donner Pass. — Map (db m60330) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — First Wagons Across the Sierras|
|The Stephens – Townsend – Murphy Party, with guidance from old Caleb Greenwood and Chief Truckee, brought their wagons up the Truckee River bed and on Nov. 25, 1844 191 days out of Council Bluffs, Iowa passed this point and crossed the mighty Sierra summit directly to the west, blazing the famous California Emigrant Trail for all who followed. — Map (db m60305) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — George Schaffer — 1828 – 1903|
|One of Truckee’s earliest settlers. Schaffer in 1866 built the first lumber mill in the town. He freighted the locomotive San Mateo to Truckee in a winter crossing of the Sierra prior to the laying of Central Pacific tracks. This building “The Star Hotel” was built by Schaffer probably for his family. When mill operations were relocated up Martis Creek in 1871, this building was converted to a hotel and has remained in continuous operation until this day. For 24 years, the Truckee . . . — Map (db m60580) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Jax Truckee Diner|
|Originally built in October 1948 by Kullman Diner Co. Newark, New Jersey and shipped to West Chester, PA. known as the “Birmingham Grill” where it continually operated until purchased by the Carey Family in 1992. On July 26, 1995 the diner arrived in Truckee, California. No other diner of its size and class had ever been trucked across the continent. After extensive restoration the diner was re-opened to the public on December 7, 1995. — Map (db m60578) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Pollard's Station|
|On this site Joseph Delos Pollard constructed the first resort on the west end of Donner Lake. Between mid 1864 and early 1868 Pollard’s Station on the Dutch Flat and Donner Lake Wagon Road was office to the Pioneer Stage Co. and Wells, Fargo & Co. Express, as well as a two-story hotel, boasting bar room, reading room, billiards and a bowling alley. Visitors could rent boats, horses and carriages to enjoy the scenic grandeur. The station was ravaged by fire twice and rebuilt once. The station . . . — Map (db m60506) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Rocking Stone|
|A natural glacier formation, or the work of an unknown tribe as a form of altar. It’s exact origin will never be known. The perfectly balanced stone until recently would rock at the touch of a finger.
C.F. McGlashan built the original tower in 1895 and used it to display Donner Party relics and his famous butterfly collection. Site of an overnight stop for the Olympic Torch in 1960. — Map (db m23527) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Nev.-01-95 — Schallenberger Cabin Site|
|Near this spot stood a small cabin built by 18 year old Moses Schallenberger and two other men. They were members of the Stephens-Townsend-Murphy party of 1844, the first pioneers to take wagons over the Sierra Nevada, opening the Truckee Route of the California Trail. The three men had volunteered to remain behind and guard six of the wagons left here by the main party.
Due to extreme winter weather conditions and lack of food, the three men agreed to separate. The two older men rejoined . . . — Map (db m11601) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Sierra Mountain Cemetery|
|The Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges each established cemeteries here in 1869 or 1870 to provide a burial place for their deceased. Catholics established a cemetery to the Southwest. Pioneers and prominent citizens within the original fenced cemetery grounds. The less reputable were buried outside the fences. Stories abound of the bodies placed in snowbanks or ice houses awaiting the ground thaw. The Truckee Cemetery District was formed in 1946 and received title to the land and named the . . . — Map (db m60331) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Stephens – Townsend – Murphy Party of 1844 — First Pioneer Wagons Over The Sierra Nevada|
|On May 22, 1844, this small wagon party of 50 men, women and children “jumped off” from Council Bluffs, Iowa, bound for California. These courageous pioneers were the first emigrants to take wagons over the Sierra Nevada, opening the Truckee Route of the California Trail.
The Murphy, Townsend, Miller, and Hitchcock families formed the main groups of the party. Caleb Greenwood was the hired guide, and Elisha Stephens was elected Captain of the wagon train.
After following . . . — Map (db m23567) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — The Gateway Cabin|
|This cabin was one of several built by Jack Wolert for Dick Joseph in 1939 on US Route 40. The cabin was constructed of lumber salvaged from houses being dismantled 3 miles north of Truckee at Hobart Mills and served as the Gateway Motel’s Office. Originally located at the site of the current Gateway Shopping Center on Donner Pass Road (Historic US 40). It was donated to the Truckee Donner Historical Society in 1990 and moved to this location on May 11, 1991. Thanks to community efforts, the . . . — Map (db m60318) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Theodore Dehone Judah — 1826 – 1863|
|As Chief Engineer of the Central Pacific Railroad, Judah’s engineering skill, political savvy and financial genius, along with the promoters’ capital, culminated in formation and construction of the Trans – Sierra leg of the first transcontinental railroad. While fighting the excesses of the railroad’s promoters, he died without seeing his dream completed. — Map (db m23513) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Truckee — Jewel of the Eastern Sierra|
|First known as Gray’s Toll Station, then Coburn’s Station, Truckee was established in 1863. Renowned for its lumber industry, Transcontinental Railroad, icehouses, saloons and red light district, Truckee has never been known for her laid back demeanor. It has always been a town where people came to entertain themselves on Friday and Saturday nights, just as it is today. — Map (db m23520) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — 780-6 — Truckee — First Transcontinental Railroad|
|While construction on Sierra tunnels delayed Central Pacific, advance forces at Truckee began building forty miles of track east and west of Truckee moving all supplies by wagon and sled. Summit Tunnel was opened in December, 1867. The line reached Truckee April 3, 1868, and the Sierra was conquered. Rails reached Reno June 19, and construction advanced eastward one mile daily toward the meeting with Union Pacific at Promontory May 10, 1869, to complete the first Transcontinental Railroad. — Map (db m23560) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — Truckee’s Old Stone Garage and Site of Town’s First Dwelling|
|In 1863, Joseph Gray built Truckee’s first structure on this site for use as the Dutch Flat–Donner Lake Wagon Road’s Toll Station. The old log structure was moved in 1907 to the Englehart property on Church Street, one block east of this site, where it still stands today and the brethren of ECV dedicated a plaque in 1965. In 1909, D.J. Smith, with the help of European–trained stone masons, constructed the present building for use as a livery and garage. — Map (db m23545) HM|
|California (Nevada County), Truckee — World War I Memorial / Victory Highway Monument|
[Located on Front of Monument:]
California’s Sons and Daughters
Who Served Their Country
In the World War 1917 -1918
And to the Memory of
Those Who Gave the
“Last Full Measure of Devotion”
[Located on Back of Monument:]
Victory Highway Monument Rededication
July 24, 1998
This monument was originally sited on old Highway 40 near the California/Nevada State line in 1928 and removed in the mid 1970’s due to vandalism. It was one . . . — Map (db m23519) HM|