|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Agua Caliente Ranch and Hot Springs|
|Agua Caliente Ranch
In 1873, Peter B. Bain filed the first formal claim to the land surrounding Agua Caliente Spring. Bain and a partner, Marion T. Beckwith, began a dairy cattle operation by bringing cows north from Sonora. Bain built a house, several outbuildings and corrals at the spring. In 1875 he sold Agua Caliente Rancho to James P. Fuller, a produce salesman from Hermosillo, Mexico for $300.
James Fuller planted an orchard, constructed ditches and ponds to harvest water for . . . — Map (db m34592) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Allande Footbridge|
|Memorial to Pedro Allande, first resident commander of the Royal Presidio of Tucson and energetic captain of the Mexican Dragoons, regular Spanish army. Near this site he was wounded severely in his right leg during the attack of May 1, 1782, by 600 warrior Apaches. He dragged himself around the circuit of sentry posts and continued to direct the defense of Tucson with only 20 presidial soldiers, saving the infant settlement from total destruction.
Puente de . . . — Map (db m26421) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Arizona's First Public School|
|On November 18, 1867, the Pima County Board of Supervisors created Tucson School District 1. An old adobe building at this location was refitted for classes. Desks and benches were built, new windows were installed in the 25' x 40' classroom, and school supplies were purchased from Hermosillo, Sonora. The semester opened in January, 1868, with an enrollment of 55 boys. Augustus Brichta, formerly a clerk in the Territorial Legislature, taught for six months, though he was paid for only four. . . . — Map (db m26419) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — August 20th Park|
|This park is a memorial to the founding of Tucson. On August 20, 1775, Lt. Col. Don Hugo Oconor, Commandant Inspector of the Frontier Provinces of New Spain, in the company of Fr. Francisco Garces and Lt. Juan Carmona officially established the location of a Spanish Presidio on the site of a very old Indian village. As part of a reorganized frontier defense plan, he ordered the transfer of the Spanish garrison from Tubac to the new presidio, San Agustin del Tucson – the northernmost . . . — Map (db m26435) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Bicentennial Moon Tree|
|This seeding was grown from the very seeds that journeyed to the moon and back on board Apollo 14. It symbolizes the major role forests played in developing our American Heritage and the vital role forests have in our future.
This planting made possible by:
State Forester of Arizona,
U.S. forest Service and NASA — Map (db m43302) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Camp Lowell 1866-1873|
|Camp Lowell was established at this location in 1866 by the U.S. Army in recognition of the strategic military importance of Tucson. The local populace was fearful of Apaches, and the camp provided military protection as well as bringing financial benefits to the residents of Tucson. The two principal purposes of this military installation were to supply other army outposts south of the Gila River and to protect the citizens of the southern Arizona territory.
Camp Lowell consisted . . . — Map (db m38989) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Cannon-Douglas Residence|
|Dr. William Austin Cannon had this house built during 1904-1905. He was the first resident botanist with the Carnegie Desert Laboratory in 1902, and worked there until 1926. Dr. Cannon sold the house in 1913 to Dr. Andrew Ellicott Douglass, an astronomer, who in 1896 had located the site for Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. Dr. Douglass, founder of dendrochronology, also built the Steward Observatory at the University of Arizona. Due to his early leadership, the University of Arizona is one of . . . — Map (db m31529) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Carlos Ygnacio Velasco House|
|This house dating from the 1870s was purchased by Carlos and Beatriz Velasco in 1878. In the same year, Velasco began publication of the newspaper "El Fronterizo," which continued until his death in 1914. This building was the office and print shop. The house at the rear was the Velasco residence. Prominent in civic affairs, Velasco was a principal founder of Alianza Hispano Americana, a national fraternal insurance society. This site is on the National Register.
Spanish . . . — Map (db m26388) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Carrillo Intermediate School|
|Carrillo School was named for the prominent Tucson businessman, Leopoldo Carrillo. During the 1880's, the site contained the Carrillo Gardens, the city's first park with eight acres of spring-fed artificial lakes, gardens and a recreational center. In 1910, Emmanuel Drachman converted the park to the Elysian Grove. In 1912 the first airplane in Tucson landed on the site and Theodore Roosevelt spoke on the site. Carrillo School was built in 1930. Its traditional Christmas presentation, Las . . . — Map (db m55228) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Catalina Federal Honor Camp — Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Site|
| Why Put A Prison On A Mountain?
Honor Camp prisoners built the Mt. Lemmon Highway
In the early 20th century, the only road to Mt. Lemmon began at the town of Oracle and snaked up the north face of the mountain.
Construction of the Mt. Lemmon Highway, a much shorter route from Tucson, began in 1933. To cut cost, prisoners supplied most of the labor, and a "Federal Honor Camp" was built here in 1939 to replace the temporary prison camps along the route.
At first, . . . — Map (db m34595) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell|
|A tiny chapel, built here in 1915, served the Barriada del Rillito, a community now called El Fuerte. The fifteen immigrant Mexican families of this village gathered outside under mesquite trees to hear Mass. In 1917, Senora Josefa de Mule donated land for a larger building. The second chapel, Santo Angel de la Guarda, was destroyed by a tornado in 1929. The present structure, also built by the men of El Fuerte, was dedicated in 1932. Carmelite fathers from Tucson's Holy Family church served . . . — Map (db m26195) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Charles O. Brown House|
|A small adobe house stood on the south side of this lot when it was purchased by Charlie Brown in 1868. Brown, a pre-Civil War settler and prominent citizen, built the Congress Hall Saloon, the town's most popular gaming place and meeting hall.
The house was expanded between 1876 and 1888, until it covered three sides of a square. It represents a classic blending of Mexican building designs and materials, with American Victorian trim.
The property was given to the Arizona Historical . . . — Map (db m26247) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson|
the raising of the
First American Flag
within the Walled
City of Tucson
Dec 16, 1846 — Map (db m26400) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — 1991 — Coronado Hotel|
1928 — Built by the T.C. Triplett Company for Harold M. Brooks as a 46-room hotel.
1928-1974 — Remained in operation as an active hotel.
1982 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1991 — Restored and re-dedicated by the Downtown Development Corporation of Tucson, Arizona as low income elderly and handicapped housing. — Map (db m27078) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Cottonwood Lane|
|Planted shortly after Fort Lowell was established in 1873. The trees were irrigated by acequias or open ditches with water diverted from Pantano Wash. The beautiful shade trees made Fort Lowell an oasis in an otherwise barren area. After the fort was abandoned in 1891 the trees died and were cut up for firewood. Now they have been replanted as they originally were in the heyday of Fort Lowell.
Presented by The Conservation Dept.
Tucson Womens Club
Mrs. H.M. Merritt, President 1964-65 — Map (db m26197) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — De Grazia Gallery In the Sun|
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
October 12, 2006
By the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m29479) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Desert Homes|
|Safford Freeman and his family settled in this area in the early 1930s after applying for a patent under the Homestead Act. They were granted 640 acres to farm, graze, or mine. Here Mr. Freeman constructed a three room adobe home, along with several outbuildings and a well. The mound of dirt before you is what's let of their home.
In the early 1950s, the Freeman Homestead, along with many other home sites, was purchased by the National Park Service to protect all the lands within Saguaro National Park. — Map (db m58146) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Desert Laboratory|
Has been designated a
This site possesses national significance
In commemorating the history of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
— Map (db m63672) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Edward Nye Fish House|
|E.N. Fish came to Arizona as an enterprising merchant in 1865. Three years later he built this adobe house which served as the family residence for the next half century. Fish developed many successful businesses and his wife Maria was prominent in public education. They contributed much to the growth and prosperity of early Tucson. Their home, one of the grandest of the day, was a social center for the community. It has been preserved by the Tucson Heritage Foundation and the Tucson Museum of Art. — Map (db m26387) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Conquistador Water Tower|
Constructed in 1928, the tower is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated as a Tucson Landmark.
The tower's Spanish colonial revival sheathing was designed by Tucson architect Roy Place and added in 1932.
In 1994, the tower was restored by the City of Tucson and the Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission with the assistance of the Arizona Heritage Fund. — Map (db m26288) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Parque de Orlando y Diego Mendoza|
In 1981, two young brothers, Orlando and Diego Mendoza, died when a drunk driver ran a stop sign at this intersection hitting the car in which the two children were riding. Orlando was 2 years old; Diego was 17 months. The accident left behind their heartbroken parents, Frank and Mary Mendoza. This rock and concrete shrine was built by neighbors in memory of these two young children. Today this park serves as a quiet respite and a reminder of how precious life is.
The . . . — Map (db m57758) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Paso & Southwestern Depot and Park|
|Th El Paso and Southwestern Railroad, originally owned by the Phelps Dodge Company, was extended from El Paso into Tucson in the fall of 1912. The handsome depot of classical design, featuring a large rotunda with a stained glass dome, was completed in December, 1913. a park commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Douglas separated the passengers and freight depots. Landscaped by Cammillo Fenzi, it featured many rare and unusual trees and shrubs. In 1924 the E.P. & S.W. Railroad became part of the . . . — Map (db m26242) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Tiradito — (The Wishing Shrine)|
|This is the only shrine in the United States dedicated to the soul of a sinner buried in unconsecrated ground. It is affectionately called "El Tiradito"- the castaway. The many legends about its origin all involve a tragic triangle love affair in the early 1870s. The mysterious powers of "El Tiradito" are still an important part of local Mexican lore and culture. This site is on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m55227) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Epes Randolph — August 16, 1856 – August 22, 1921|
|[ Four markers are mounted on the four sides around the base of the monument. ]
Southern Pacific Railroad Map
Epes commanded the "Randolph Lines" that connected Phoenix and southern Arizona's outlying communities with Tucson. He also headed the Southern Pacific railroad's push through the rough barranca country south of Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico toward Guadalajara. Randolph envisioned a great agricultural and mineral bonanza along Mexico's western coast, . . . — Map (db m38936) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Eusebio Francisco Kino, S. J. — 1645-1711|
Pioneer Jesuit missionary,
Explorer of Northwestern New Spain,
Cartographer, historian and mission builder.
The other original casting, representing Arizona,
is located in the capitol, Washington, D.C.
Sculptor-Suzanne Silvercruys — Map (db m27077) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Exchange at the Presidio — The Mormon Battalion Enters Tucson, 16 December 1846|
|Near this site on December 16 – 17, 1846, the U.S. 101st Infantry ("Mormon") Battalion under the command of Colonel Philip St. George Cooke peacefully occupied the Presidio San Agustin del Tucson.
Organized in Council Bluffs, Iowa, to reinforce General Stephen Watts Kearny's Army of the West during the Mexican – American War, the battalion marched 2,000 miles to San Diego, probably the longest march in the U.S. military history.
By the time the battalion reached Tucson, it . . . — Map (db m26443) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — First Municipal Airport in the United States — Arizona Historic Site|
This ground was the location
First Municipal Airport
The Tucson City Council approved the
financing for the airport, July 21, 1919
the City of Tucson in cooperation
with the Tucson Chamber of Commerce
established and constructed
The first plane landed Nov. 20, 1919
Swede Myerhofer, Pilot
Upon receipt of an official letter from Brig. Gen. “Billy” . . . — Map (db m8432) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Fort Lowell|
|The military post, established in 1862
near downtown Tucson, was moved to
this location in 1873. One of many
active forts on the Arizona frontier,
Lowell served also as a major supply
depot, influencing the economy and
social life of the community. At its
peak in the 1880's, three companies of
infantry and two troops of cavalry -
more than 250 officers and soldiers
- were stationed here. The need for
Fort Lowell steadily declined after
Geronimo's surrender in 1886 and,
despite . . . — Map (db m26191) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Fort Lowell|
|Largest of the early Arizona military installations
this was the supply base for military posts in southern Arizona during the long warfare against the Apaches. Built in 1873, it was Gen. Nelson A. Miles' headquarter in the final campaign against Geronimo, and was abandoned in 1891. — Map (db m26198) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Fourth Avenue Underpass — Constructed 2009|
| Tucson City Engineer ― Jim Clock
Design Engineer ― Cannon & Associates, Inc. TranSystems Corp.
Contractor ― Sundt Construction, Inc.
Long known as the Gateway to the East End of Downtown, the Fourth Avenue Underpass in a vital link between the University of Arizona, the Fourth Avenue merchants and the Downtown Tucson Business District. In 1988, as part of a movement to revitalize the Downtown area, the City of Tucson moved to reconstruct the historic underpass to . . . — Map (db m31527) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Fox Tucson Theatre|
|The Fox Tucson Theatre, the country's only southwestern art deco movie palace, was designed by California architect Eugene Durfee. Construction began in 1929 for the Tower Theatre, the crown jewel of the Diamos Brothers Southern Arizona Movie Theatre chain. Fox West Coast Theatres leased the building from the Diamoses and renamed it the Fox Theatre, opening on April 11, 1930, it soon became the community center of Tucson. In 1936, it became the city's first public building to have refrigerated . . . — Map (db m26483) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Garcés Footbridge|
|Memorial to Francisco Garcés, explorer and first Franciscan missionary to the Pima village at the foot of Sentinel Peak. In 1770 Garcés and the Pimas constructed at that site the first substantial building in Tucson, a mission residence with two rounded towers for defense. On August 20, 1775, he led Lt. Col. Hugo Oconor to this present site, designated for the founding of the Royal Spanish Presidio of Tucson. Garcés and the Pimas helped in the construction of the new presidio. A principal . . . — Map (db m55224) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — George E. P. Smith Residence|
|Dr. Smith built this house in 1904 in anticipation of his marriage to Maud North, a Tucson teacher. The house, which he designed, was the first building on the north side of Speedway. Dr. Smith was a University of Arizona professor of engineering and physics from 1900-1906, of irrigation engineering from 1906-1955, and emeritus to 1975. He pioneered in measuring Arizona's groundwater and brought recognition to the University as a center for the study of water use in arid lands.
. . . — Map (db m31528) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — AQHHMP #2 — Hacienda Moltacqua — American Quarter Horse Historical Marker|
|The first World's Championship Quarter Horse Speed Trials were held just north of this site in 1941 at the newly-constructed Hacienda Moltacqua Racetrack. Bob Locke, owner of the track, was a member of the Southern Arizona Horse Breeders Association. He, along with other SAHBA members J. Rukin Jelks, Jake Meyer, Clancy Wollard and Joe Flieger, hosted the trials in conjunction with the Tucson Horse Show. As a five-year-old, Clabber, owned by A.A. (Ab) Nichols of Gilbert, Arizona, defeated . . . — Map (db m40473) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Hiram S. Stevens House|
|Hiram Sanford Stevens came west as a soldier, settling in Tucson in 1856. Three years later, he married Petra Santa Cruz, great granddaughter of a Spanish Pioneer. In 1865 the couple built this residence, which featured an aviary, orchard, carriage house and stables. Stevens, an astute businessman with interests in cattle, mining, merchandising and real estate, was also a respected politician, serving two terms in the Territorial Legislature and twice as Arizona's Delegate to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m26154) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Historic Fourth Avenue Underpass — Constructed 1916 – Demolished in 2008|
| Tucson City Engineer ― J. Mos Ruthrauff
Design Engineer ― L. R. Walker
Contractor ― Bent Brothers
In 1913, in an effort to separate pedestrians, vehicles, bicycles and wagons from trains, the City of Tucson embarked on a major grade separation project to have Fourth Avenue, a major thoroughfare in Downtown Tucson, travel beneath the Southern Pacific Railroad.
The original underpass consisted of two 12-foot-wide lanes and 6-foot-wide raised pedestrian walkways on . . . — Map (db m31526) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Honorable Frank Harris Hitchcock|
|This beautiful highway was made possible by his sincere interest and unceasing efforts. It is dedicated to him and shall be known as"Hitchcock Highway" — Map (db m30020) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Hotel Congress|
|The venerable Hotel Congress, designed by well-known architect, Roy Place, is the last surviving historic hotel in downtown Tucson. This three-story landmark was built in 1919 with exposed masonry construction and marble details. The hotel, south of the railroad depot, was convenient to railroad passengers arriving in Tucson. The elegant lobby and dining room provided a degree of refinement for winter visitors on their western adventure. A January 1934 fire destroyed the original third floor . . . — Map (db m27248) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Hugo O'Conor|
Interior Provinces of New Spain
Founder of the
Presidio San Agustin de Tucson
August 20, 1775
Hugh O'Conor was born in Ireland in 1734 during a time in Irish history when England dominated the existence of the Irish people. To escape the oppression of English rule, O'Conor left his homeland at the age of 16 to serve in the Spanish military. Many Irishmen of this time opted to serve under the Spanish government in return for Spain's . . . — Map (db m31548) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Jácome’s|
|[ Four markers are mounted to a four sided kiosk. ]
1896 – 1980
This area was the final location of Jácome’s Department Store from 1951 to 1980. For twenty-nine years the people of Tucson and our neighbors in Mexico frequented this site. The concept of retail clustering began in the Tucson area when business rival, Harold Steinfeld agreed to build and lease a store to Jácome's in order to create a retail hub downtown. . . . — Map (db m40049) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — John Campbell Greenway — 1872-1926|
| Rough Rider, mining engineer, developer of the Ajo copper mines and designer of the town of Ajo for Calumet and Arizona Mining Co., Brigadier General, Army Reserve, and Regent, University of Arizona.
The other original casting, representing Arizona, is located in the Capitol, Washington, D.C.
Sculptor - Gutzon Borglum — Map (db m41974) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — La Casa Cordova|
|This adobe house incorporates portions of one of the oldest standing structures in Tucson. The two west rooms are believed to have been built before the Gadsden Purchase of 1854. Four front rooms were added in 1879.
The house was named for Maria Navarette Cordova, whose family acquired it in 1896. It was restored by the Junior League of Tucson, Inc., for the Tucson Museum of Art in 1975 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m26228) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — La Catedral de San Agustin — 1863 – 1897|
|On this site stood the Catedral de San Agustin, the first church near the Tucson Presidio, Arizona Territory. The adobe and stone structure was built under the direction of Bishop Salpointe in 1883. — Map (db m51618) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Leonardo Romero House|
|This house is named for its first known residents, living here in 1868. Although construction dates are not known, the Washington Street wing lies along the course of the Presidio wall, completed in 1783. Leonardo Romero, a carpenter whose shop was located on the Meyer Street side, was well-known for his work on such landmarks as San Augustine Cathedral, the Convent of the Sisters of St. Joseph, and early restoration at San Xavier Mission. The house, much altered, has variously served as . . . — Map (db m55231) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Locomotive 1673|
|Locomotive # 1673, a Mogul 2 – 6 – 0 type engine, was built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1900 and logged over 1,000,000 miles for the Southern Pacific Company, primarily in southern Arizona. In 1955 it was donated to the City of Tucson to mark the 75th anniversary of the arrival of the railroad to the community. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
The Southern Pacific Railroad arrived in Tucson on March 20, 1880. . . . — Map (db m49938) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Main Gate|
|The main gate of the presidio was located near what is now Alameda Street, just north of this spot. The gate was built from mesquite timbers and had a platform above, where a guard stood watch. In the late 1860's, the families of Milton Duffield, Hiram Stevens, and Edward Nye Fish lived in the Sonoran row houses that still stand along Main Street, north of Alameda Street. — Map (db m51488) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Mansions of Main Avenue|
|From the 1860s to the early 1900s, many of the wealthiest families in Tucson built homes along Main Avenue (El Camino Real), from Alameda Street north to 6th Street. "La Vecindad cerda del centro" or, "the neighborhood near downtown" soon earned the nickname "Snob Hollow." Most of these architecturally unique mansions survived the urban renewal programs of the 1960s, and El Presidio Historic District became one of the first Tucson neighborhoods to be listed in the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m51456) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Mission San Xavier del Bac|
Mission San Xavier del Bac was founded by the Jusuit missionary, Fr. Eusebio Kino in 1692. The present church was built under the direction of the Franciscans. Construction began in 1783 and was completed in 1797.
The church continues to serve as the parish church for the Tohono O'odham.
This plaque was donated in loving memory of Jeanette C. Checola
Jan 1, 1939 – Mar. 4, 2004
R.I.P. — Map (db m26930) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson|
N. W. Corner
Adobe Wall of Spanish
Presidio of Tucson
Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26462) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson|
Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26460) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Old Main|
|On March 12, 1885 Governor Frederick A. Tritle signed legislation creating the University of Arizona. Selim M. Franklin and C.C. Stephens, Pima delegates to the 13th Territorial Legislature fathered this Bill. Jacob S. Mansfeld solicited the 40-acre site from William S. Read, E.B. Gifford and Ben C. Parker. James M. Creighton was architect; M.J. Sullivan, contractor. Groundbreaking was October 27, 1887. Classes started October 1, 1891, with 6 faculty, 6 freshmen and 26 preparatory students. . . . — Map (db m26386) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — One Story from the Barrio Viejo — The History of Room 6|
Room 6 (originally addressed 202 W. 18th Street, and later 709 S. 8th Avenue), on the southeast corner of the excavated row house on Lot 10 (see map), housed several businesses throughout its history. In 1914, it was a blacksmith shop, while around 1919 it became a store and residence.
By 1951, Room 6 was a secondhand shop owned by Bruce and Suzie Draper, who had lived in Tucson since 1929. The Drapers were among the many African Americans who have played an . . . — Map (db m57789) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Padre-Eusebio-Francisco-Kino, S.J.|
Born Segno, Italy, 1645 – Educated at Jesuit Colleges
Entered society of Jesus, 1665 – His petition to be sent upon
a distant and dangerous mission granted, 1678 – Began missionary labors in Lower California, April 1, 1683 – Among Pimas, March 13, 1687 During 24 years in Pimeria Alta made 50 missionary and exploring expeditions inland - Founded missions – Established ranches – Introduced domestic animals and European plants into Arizona – Made . . . — Map (db m26394) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pennington Footbridge|
|Memorial to Elias Pennington, pioneer rancher, farmer, miner, freighter and lumberman. In 1857, he came from Texas with his twelve children settling in various locations around southern Arizona for several years. Near this site, in 1863, Pennington set up a pit for whipsawing timber in the arroyo just south of the old presidio wall. Tragically, by 1870, Elias and five members of his family were dead – victims of the hardships and dangers of frontier life. "Calle del Arroyo" was later . . . — Map (db m26431) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pima County Courthouse — Historic Site|
|The first Pima County Courthouse, a single-story adobe structure built in 1868, was replaced in 1881 by a large two-story stone and red brick victorian building which, in turn, was removed in 1928 to make way for the present structure. This distinctive building, designed by Tucsonian Roy Place and completed in 1929, reflects the Spanish colonial and Moorish influences on the architectural heritage of the southwest. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m55222) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza de la Mesilla|
|One of the few remaining sites which recall the Mexican heritage of Tucson, it acquired its name after the Gadsden Purchase (1854) as the terminus of the wagon road joining Tucson to the territorial capital, then at Mesilla. When San Agustin, the first cathedral church in Arizona, was erected just east of the plaza, it became known as La Placita de San Agustin. It is now called "La Placita."
Plaza de La Mesilla
Uno de los pocos sitios restantes que . . . — Map (db m55225) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza de las Armas|
|The largest plaza within the Spanish presidio of San Agustin del Tucson, founded in 1775, this area was originally used for military formations and drill. After construction of the first Pima County courthouse (1870), the name was changed to Court Plaza. Here traditional fiestas, circuses and other public events have been held since the 18th century. — Map (db m26241) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza Militar|
|Once an open space, this area was within the original Spanish presidio. The plaza was probably named in the Mexican years (1821-1854), when soldiers drilled here. Saddle horses for the troops were stabled along the north side, next to the presidio wall. Houses were built over the site beginning in the 1860's. — Map (db m26165) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio San Agustín del Tucson|
|For about 80 years, the adobe walls of the Tucson Presidio protected the residents of the area from attacks by Apache groups, who opposed Spanish and Mexican peoples and their native allies beginning in the 1600s. The Spanish military designated the site in 1775 on the location of a prehistoric native village site. The fort housed 100 soldiers at its height, and 300 civilians lived in the area, with several hundred O'odham and Aravaipa Apache allies in the vicinity. The main gate for the fort . . . — Map (db m55221) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall|
|This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustin del Tucson, In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under the command of Lt. Col. Juan Bautista de Anza. The first fort, a crude wooden palisade, was replaced by adobe walls begun about 1778 and completed in 1783. For 80 years presidial soldiers provided protection for San Xavier mission and for settlers who farmed the Santa Cruz valley. — Map (db m26466) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall & Pithouse|
|This marker locates the northeast corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustin del Tucson. It is thought that a bastion, used as a lookout and as a defensive position, stood here. The site was excavated in 1954 by archaeologists who discovered beneath the wall a prehistoric Hohokam Indian dwelling, part of a village which existed here about 800 A.D. This pithouse, so named because the floor is below the level of the ground, provides evidence that Tucson is . . . — Map (db m26463) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall Camino Real|
|Near this site was the southwest corner of the adobe wall that surrounded the Spanish Presidio, an enclosure of 11 ¼ acres which included most of the present city – county governmental complex and the Art Museum block. Tucson was the largest fort in a chain of Spanish frontier posts extending from the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of California., designed to protect the northern border of New Spain. Main Street, originally the "Camino Real," paralleled the west side of the presidio and . . . — Map (db m26465) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — AQHHMP #8 — Rillito Race Track — American Quarter Horse Historical Marker|
|This famous track on the banks of the Rillito River was the birthplace of many racing innovations still in use today. The Southern Arizona Horse Breeders Association, the organization that pioneered Quarter Horse Racing in Tucson, had been hosting races at the Hacienda Moltacqua track since 1941. When Moltacqua was sold in 1943, J. Rukin Jelks volunteered the use the training track on his ranch.
Under the direction of Melville Haskell, an American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame inductee, and . . . — Map (db m40295) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Rugged Pioneer Soldiers|
Lest we forget those rugged pioneer
soldiers who tamed the west,
this memorial is erected
to perpetually remind us of their service. — Map (db m28419) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson|
|This disc marks the southeast corner of the old adobe wall that protected Tucson from the Indians in the early days - prior to 1845
Moved to this location in 1955 — Map (db m26461) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Sentinel Peak|
|Below this 2900-foot peak the Santa Cruz valley was farmed by the Hóhokam Indians as early as 800 A.D. When the Spaniards arrived in the 17th century, the Hóhokam had vanished and settlements of Piman people dotted the valley. One called "Schuk-Shon," meaning "at the foot of the Black Mountain," was pronounced "Tucson" by the Spaniards. The hill was a lookout for these early Indian and Spanish settlers, who lived in fear of hostile raiders. The whitewashed stone "A" was constructed by . . . — Map (db m28194) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Sentinel Peak|
|Used as a lookout and for signal fires by the Indians prior to and since 1692 and later by early settlers — Map (db m38401) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Siqueiros-Jácome House|
|The Siqueiros-Jácome family built this adobe brick structure between the mid-1860's and the late 1870's. It is an example of a Sonoran row house. Built close to the street with an interior courtyard, the house has flat saguaro rib and packing crate ceilings hidden beneath a later pitched roof. The doorways were positioned to allow air to circulate and cool the interior. Soledad Jácome lived in the house from 1866 to 1911, supporting her daughters by working as a seamstress.
An 1883 map . . . — Map (db m51494) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Site of Arizona's Second Territorial Capitol|
|An adobe building at this site housed Arizona's Government from 1868 – 1877, when Tucson was capitol of the territory. One of the meeting rooms of this second territorial capitol became the home of the pioneer Drachman family.
Source: Historical Markers within the Arizona Department of Transportation Right of Way. Prepared by: Roadside Development Section, April 1, 1997 — Map (db m51454) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Sosa-Carillo-Frémont House|
|The earliest documents for this property indicate that the pioneering Sosa family lived here in the 1850s. In 1878, Manuela Sosa and her husband, Michael McKenna, sold the property to Jesus Suarez de Carrillo, wife of businessman Leopoldo Carrillo, who completed this house in 1880. In 1881, the daughter of Territorial Governor John C. Fremont lived here. Carrillo family members occupied the house until 1968, when the city cleared the area for a community center. The Tucson Heritage Foundation . . . — Map (db m55226) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Southern Pacific Railroad|
|The S.P.R.R., building the nation's second transcontinental tail line eastward from California, reached Tucson on March 20, 1880. It was the occasion for one of the greatest celebrations in the history of the city and foretold the coming of a new era of fast, reliable and inexpensive transportation, bringing increased growth, development and prosperity. The original station, built in 1880, was a large wooden structure with offices, freight and passenger accommodations. It was replaced by the present depot, built on the same site in 1907. — Map (db m55230) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Southwest Corner of the Presidio|
|Excavations beneath this lawn in 1998 located the west adobe wall of the Tucson Presidio and a portion of the presidio blacksmith shop. The tower at the southwest corner remains buried beneath the nearby city hall parking lot. Soldiers stood guard here, watching over the field on the Santa Cruz River floodplain below. The soldiers accompanied women as they washed clothes in an irrigation acequia (canal) and men as they tended crops and herds, located a short distance from the main gate. . . . — Map (db m51490) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Spanish War Veterans Monument — 1898-1902|
|In Memory of Those Who Served
Spanish American War 1898-1902
Cuba – Porto Rico – Philippines – China
Lest You Forget — Map (db m38993) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — St. Philip's in the Hills|
is Listed in the
of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
St. Philip's in the Hills
1936 — Map (db m31524) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Teatro Carmen|
|Named for its founder, Carmen Soto Vásquez, this was one of the first theaters in Tucson devoted exclusively to the presentation of dramatic works in Spanish. From the opening night, May 20, 1915, with a performance of "Cerebro y Corazón" by the Mexican playwright Teresa Farias de Isassi, Teatro Carmen served as an important cultural center. Hundreds of performances were staged by local and internationally known companies from Spain and Mexico. After 1922, it became a cinema, meeting hall, . . . — Map (db m55229) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Temple Emanu-El|
|Jewish pioneers, among Arizona's earliest settlers, began arriving in the 1850's and for half a century they worshipped in private homes and rented quarters. In 1904, the Hebrew Ladies Aid Society, now the Sisterhood of Temple Emanu-El, was established formally to provide for social services and religious needs. One of its goals was realized when Temple Emanu-El, the Territory's first synagogue building, was erected at a cost of $4712. It opened on the eve of the Jewish New Year, "Rosh Ha . . . — Map (db m26248) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Temple of Music and Art|
|This cultural center was built through the efforts of the Saturday Morning Music Club. The grand opening October 28, 1927, starred violinist Jascha Heifetz. Many world-renowned artists followed upon the stage and in the galleries while local talent also gave recitals and concerts. Original home of the Tucson Fine Arts Association and the Tucson Boys Chorus. Restoration was begun in 1976. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Templo de Música y . . . — Map (db m26442) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The First Presbyterian Church in Tucson|
|On this site stood the first Presbyterian Church, and the second Protestant Church in Arizona. It was organized in 1874 for Presbyterian Missions in the Territories by the Reverend Sheldon Jackson and constructed by the Reverend J. A. Anderson, with financial support from the citizens of Tucson. The cornerstone of the Gothic style, adobe church was laid June 13, 1878 on land purchased from the City of Tucson within Courthouse Plaza. The building was sold to the Congregational Church in 1881. . . . — Map (db m26422) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Manning House|
|A Landmark of the National Register of Historic Places
Original Construction 1907-08
Levi Howell Manning — Map (db m31530) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Stork's Nest|
|The Sanborn Fire Maps for the City of Tucson first recorded this building in 1883 as an adobe dwelling with an attached ramada. Between 1901 and 1930 additions were made to the main building and construction was completed on the outbuilding behind you.
The original building was constructed in the idigenous Sonoran style characterized by a flush-fronted adobe facade, a flat mud roof with parapet walls, stone foundations, canales (projecting roof-drains) and a horizontal mass with recessed . . . — Map (db m31200) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Tucson Plant Materials Center|
|The Tucson Plant Materials Center
Has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of Agriculture
1997 — Map (db m31525) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Tucson Tragedy|
|Honoring the victims of the event of
January 8, 2011
The Tucson Tragedy - - -
we shall never forget — Map (db m51467) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — To The Mormon Battalion|
|Which, under command of Col. Cooke, in the course of their 2,000 mile infantry march to the Pacific coast, arrived and raised the first American flag in Tucson.
December 16, 1846 — Map (db m27281) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Tucson Old Walled City|
by the Spanish Government
as a Presidio.
Became part of U.S. after
Gadsden Purchase 1853 — Map (db m26399) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — U.S.S. Arizona 1916 - Wilber L. "Bill" Bower U of A Outstanding Achievement Awards|
|The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell about to be melted down at the Puget Sound Naval Yard in Bremerton, Washington. Bowers was instrumental in saving the bell from destruction and in acquiring the bell for the University of Arizona.
On November 17, 1951 the bell was rung for the first . . . — Map (db m31199) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — University Streetcar Line|
|Across from the Main Gate on May 12, 1898, Charles F. Hoff, Manager of the Tucson Street Railway Company, drove the final spike completing tracks to the downtown business district and residential areas farther south. Mule-drawn streetcars traveled a five-mile route along Third Street (University Boulevard) and Stone Avenue; the fare was a nickel. On June 1, 1906, the Tucson Rapid Transit Company inaugurated an electric streetcar system which played a significant role in residential development . . . — Map (db m26194) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Veterans Memorial — Fort Lowell Park|
|Dedicated to the enduring memory of the men and women who faithfully served in the military forces of the United States of America and in grateful acknowledgment of their contribution to this nation, which in time of peril, found in them its protectors. — Map (db m28932) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Villa Catalina|
|Tucson's first "own your own" apartment homes
National Register of Historic Places
US Dept. of the Interior — Map (db m30139) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Warner's Mill|
|Solomon Warner, a pioneer merchant who came to Tucson in 1856, constructed a two-story flour mill here in 1875. To the south, he built a dam across the Santa Cruz River, creating a small lake. From there, a flume ran along the base of the mountain feeding the raceway and waterwheel which turned two sets of heavy millstones capable of grinding about 100 bushels of locally grown wheat a day. A small stamp mill, powered by the same waterwheel, was used to crush ore from Warner's mines. — Map (db m26344) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — World War I Memorial|
|1917 World War 1918
Dedicated to Those
Lest We Forget — Map (db m38994) HM|
|Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Wyatt Earp Shot Frank Stilwell...|
|Wyatt Earp joined his four brothers in the silver-boom town of Tombstone in 1879 where brother Virgil was deputy U.S. marshal. Wyatt was a sometimes-lawman himself, and hoped to become sheriff of the newly formed Cochise County in 1881. He withdrew from the race when the other candidate, John Behan, promised to make him chief deputy.
Behan was associated with a rowdy element known as the 'cowboys,' who were involved in periodic rustling forays, robberies and similar unscrupulous pursuits. . . . — Map (db m28929) HM|