|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — “The Indian Fires Are Going Out”|
|The Trail of Tears led thousands of Creek Indians through Tuscaloosa, capital of Alabama in 1836. Chief Eufaula addressed the legislature with these words:
"I come here, brothers, to see the great house of Alabama and the men who make laws and say farewell in brotherly kindness before I go to the far west, where my people are now going. In time gone by I have thought that the white men wanted to bring burden and ache of heart among my people in driving them from their homes and yoking them . . . — Map (db m28995) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Central Female College|
|After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes.
In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building for ninety-nine years to the newly formed Baptist affiliated Alabama Central Female College. At this time, a large brick four story dormitory was constructed at the west of the building.
On August 22, 1923, the historic building was totally . . . — Map (db m29064) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Corps Of Cadets Defends Tuscaloosa|
|Early on the morning of 4 April 1865, Union Gen John T. Croxton's Cavalry Brigade of 1500 veteran troopers entered the town after fighting the home guard and capturing the covered bridge connecting Northport and Tuscaloosa across the Warrior River. While a detachment of Federals proceeded to capture two pieces of artillery stored at the Broad St. livery stable, Pat Kehoe of the Alabama Insane Hospital hurried to the University of Alabama to warn of the soldier's approach. University president . . . — Map (db m25383) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alpha Delta Pi — Organized May 15, 1851 — ETA Chapter March 21, 1907|
|Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty active members in 1905 when it change its name to Alpha Delta Phi (Pi in 1913) and began to expand nationally. Eta Chapter at the University of Alabama was the first chapter established in the state. Pi Kappa Kappa, the first local sorority at the . . . — Map (db m28783) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Amelia Gayle Gorgas — 1826-1913|
|Daughter of John Gayle, Governor of Alabama.
Wife of Josiah Gorgas, Brigadier General, C. S. A.
Mother of William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General, U. S. A.
Untiring nurse in Confederate Hospitals, 1861-1865.
First Historian Alabama Division, U. D. C. 1897-1899.
Matron of University Hospital, 1879-1907.
Librarian, University of Alabama, 1883-1907.
In commemoration of this noble record, and of her exalted personal character, this memorial tribute is erected by the Alabama Division, . . . — Map (db m33653) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Arthur P. Bagby — Governor 1837 - 1841|
|He inherited the financial woes brought on by the collapse of the "Flush Times". Despite chaotic banking conditions during the Panic of 1837, chancery courts and a penitentiary system were both created, and Alabama settled its boundary dispute with Georgia. — Map (db m29030) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — B.B. Comer Hall, 1908|
|Named for Braxton Bragg Comer (1848-1927), Governor of Alabama (1907-1911).
As a member of the University's Corp of Cadets in 1865, Comer witnessed the burning of the campus by Federal troops. Later, as Governor, he strongly supported education and helped secure appropriations for the "Greater University Campaign," the first major expansion of the campus in the twentieth century. — Map (db m29121) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey)|
|Manufacturer: Bell Aircraft
Engine: Lycoming T-53-L13 single turbine
Length: 41’ - 10.5’
Gross weight: 9,500 lbs
Cruise speed: 127 mph
Range: 318 miles
Armament: two M-60D 7.62 mm door mounted machine guns
The UH-1, or Huey, is one of the most recognized aircraft of the Vietnam era. This chopper had a wide variety of uses ranging from medical evacuation to troop transport to gunship. The UH-1H which is displayed went into service in September 1967. . . . — Map (db m35480) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Benjamin Fitzpatrick — Governor 1841 - 1845|
|He oversaw the closing of the unstable State Bank. In 1845 the legislature amended the constitution to allow the removal of the capital from Tuscaloosa. The growing wealth and population of the Black Belt brought the seat of government to Montgomery. — Map (db m29033) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church|
|Oldest existing Black Presbyterian Church in Alabama. Organized by Dr. Charles A. Stillman as Salem Church in December, 1880. First church building erected 9th Street and 30th Avenue in 1882. First pastors were Reverend B. M. Wilkinson (1889-90) and Reverend I. C. H. Champney (1894-98). In 1915 relocated at 11th Street and 25th Avenue. In 1931 moved to present site. Name changed to Brown Memorial (1932) honoring Dr. R. A. Brown, Superintendent of Home Mission Work, PCUS. Present sanctuary built . . . — Map (db m40390) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Bryce Hospital|
|Alabama state hospitals inspired by Dorothea Dix in 1849. Opened 1861. Peter Bryce, J. T. Searcy and W. D. Partlow were the superintendents during the next 87 years. — Map (db m40480) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Bryce Hospital Cemetery #2|
|One of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility, this cemetery was established in 1922 and was closed for burials in 1953. It contains approximately 1550 burials mostly marked with simple, chronologically numbered concrete grave markers that correspond to cemetery ledger books in the possession of the Alabama Department of Mental Health. Bryce Hospital is one of the most historic and architecturally significant public institutions . . . — Map (db m40449) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Burns’ Shoals|
|The remains of Burns' Shoals now lie nearly 40 feet underwater. This rock outcropping was the first of the shoals known as the "Falls of Tuscaloosa" and represents the "Fall Line" or contact point of the Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Plateau, which extends nearly 2000 miles to Canada. From here upstream the riverbed is primarily rock while downstream is is sand, silt and gravel. It was head of navigation on the river and thus a primary reason for the founding of Tuscaloosa. It was used as . . . — Map (db m28904) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Captain Benjamin F. Eddins|
|Born in South Carolina in 1813, Benjamin Farrar Eddins raised and led a company of volunteers that served in the 41st Alabama Infantry Regiment.
Retired due to ill health, he returned to lead the Home Guards, a militia made up of old men and young boys. While trying to render the covered bridge impassable to Federal troops on the night of April 3, 1865, he and 15-year-old John Carson were wounded in a skirmish with Croxton's Raiders. Later that evening, Mayor Obediah Berry and Catholic . . . — Map (db m28908) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community|
|In 1883 the Castle Hill Real Estate and Manufacturing Company began the first eastern expansion of the original 1821 Tuscaloosa city limits. Hoping to stimulate development in the area, the company created a popular amusement park centered around and artificial lake. Portions of this property had belonged to Delaware Jackson, a freed slave who had been given the land for courage and loyalty. In 1881 Jackson organized the Bethel Baptist Church and, in 1917, he donated nearby land for the Baptist . . . — Map (db m35467) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Chabannes - Sealy House|
|The Chavannes - Sealy House was built in 1847 by Hollis C. Kidder. The house passed through several owners until it was sold in 1920 to Julia Nuzon Morris. Her daughter, Julia Morris, married Norbert Chabannes. That family lived here until the house was sold in 2003. Restored in 2005, the house exemplifies the Creole cottage style rarely seen as far north in Alabama as Tuscaloosa. It is distinguished by its gable roof sloping in an unbroken plane from front to back to accommodate a full-length . . . — Map (db m35323) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Christ Episcopal Church — Organized January 7, 1828|
|The second oldest Episcopal Church in Alabama. Construction begun 1829, completed 1830 at cost of $1700. Enlarged and remodeled in 1880 from original Greek Revival design to present Gothic lines. First pews sold to highest bidder; made free in 1849. Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, first Episcopal Bishop of Alabama, served as Rector 1846-1851. Church bell installed 1830 is still used. A Rectory built 1844 was located where Chapel now stands. Charter ceremonies for University of Alabama held in this . . . — Map (db m40419) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Clement Comer Clay — Governor 1835 - 1837|
|He served during Alabama's years of great prosperity known as the "Flush Times." With the economy booming, the legislature abolished all state taxes. — Map (db m29029) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Delta Kappa Epsilon|
|marker Front: Psi Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity first Greek letter fraternity at The University of Alabama. Organized by Louis J. DuPre, chapter installed June 20, 1847. First members initiated at Indian Queen Hotel by Charles Foote of Phi Chapter at Yale College.
ΔKE house built 1916. Because of its location is known as "The Mansion on the Hill."
Psi Chapter of Delta kappa Epsilon fraternity installed at The University of Alabama . . . — Map (db m30676) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Denny Chimes|
This bell tower, and enduring symbol of Alabama's first university, was erected in honor of President George H. Denny, under whose leadership (1911 to 1936) The University of Alabama gained national prominence. Conceived by Jerome M Britchey and his classmates, this free-standing campanile carillon was built by Skinner, Maxwell, and Company and dedicated May 27, 1929, with Governor Bibb Graves presiding. Converted in 1945 from a bell carillon to an electronic system and . . . — Map (db m29610) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Druid City Hospital School Of Nursing|
|Constructed in 1923 through gift of J. T. Horne, this building occupied by Druid City Hospital School of Nursing from 1923 to 1947. Used by University of Alabama from 1951 to 1954 to first state supported collegiate school of nursing in Alabama. — Map (db m29608) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First African Baptist Church — Tuscaloosa, Alabama|
|Organized November 1866, with 144 members. The Rev. Prince Murrell, first pastor, served until 1885. A church building located at corner of 4th Street and 24th Avenue was purchased and became place of worship during pastorate of the Rev. James Mason, 1885-1891. Resolution passed in this church 1873 resulted in establishment of Selma University, Selma, Alabama.
Present structure erected 1907 under leadership of the Rev. J. H. Smith. Church annex completed and adjoining property purchased . . . — Map (db m40408) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First Baptist Church|
|Organized 1818, oldest church in Tuscaloosa County. First building was of logs. A brick structure completed 1830 and larger one at this site 1884. Educational building erected 1924 and present sanctuary 1958. Sunday School organized here 1830. Influenced by leadership of the first two Presidents University of Alabama, Dr. Alva Wood, 1831, Dr. Basil Manly, 1837, who often filled pulpit. A resolution from this church 1844, resulted in formation of Northern and Southern Baptist Conventions. . . . — Map (db m35343) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First Papermaking In Alabama|
|Gulf States Paper Corporation (3/4 mile Northeast) began production in April 1929 to introduce the modern pulp and paper industry to Alabama. Based on the state's fast-growing forests, paper became a major Alabama industry.
The Tuskaloosa Paper Company made Alabama's first paper from rags in 1849 at a small mill at the foot of River Hill (3 ½ miles West), this early plant operated only a few years. — Map (db m40448) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First Presbyterian Church — Tuscaloosa|
Moved to this site 1830.
Present structure erected 1921.
Under the leadership of Dr. Charles A. Stillman, (Minister, 1869-1895) it sponsored the founding of Stillman College in 1876. Its bell was the subject of a poem by Samuel Minturn Peck, poet laureate of Alabama. — Map (db m35364) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — French 75 Millimeter Feldhase|
|This 1916 gun was used by the American Expeditionary Forces in World War 1 as part of a horse drawn caisson. During the war, American forces were loaned guns, planes, and other equipment from the French arsenal.
This gun was moved to Veterans Memorial Park in 1993 when Capitol Park was renovated. — Map (db m35506) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gabriel Moore — Governor 1829 - 1831|
|During his term our state moved from frontier to urbanity. The University of Alabama was officially opened. Construction was begun on our first canals and railroads, supplementing existing steamboats and unpaved roads. The Choctaws exchanged their territory in West Alabama for lands west of the Mississippi. — Map (db m29023) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gorgas House|
|Built 1829 as University dining hall.
Remodeled as a residence 1840.
Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953
Preserved as a memorial to:
General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883)
Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865
President of the University 1878-1879
Mrs. Amelia Gayle Gorgas (1826-1913)
University Librarian 1883-1906
General William Crawford Gorgas (1854-1920)
Surgeon General, United States Army
Sanitary engineer whose work in eliminating Yellow . . . — Map (db m29301) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Greenwood Cemetery|
|Laid out in the original city plan, Greenwood is Tuscaloosa’ oldest surviving cemetery. It has been in continuous use since prior to 1820. The earliest marked grave is dated 1821.
Some of the ornate marble markers located in Greenwood were carved in New Orleans, however, many were carved from local sandstone by masons working on the state capitol once located three blocks north. Only grass covers many of the older plots of African and Native Americans and white settlers.
Greenwood is . . . — Map (db m40392) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gun from the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa|
| 5 inch / 25 caliber
“Dual Purpose” secondary artillery gun
The U.S.S. Tuscaloosa was equipped with eight such guns, located in single turrets, four on either side of the ship. Developed in the 1920’s, its purpose was for both antiaircraft and surface fire. The gun weighed 4,720 lbs and was served by a crew of eight men. It was capable of firing a 54 lb shell out to a range of 14,500 yards. — Map (db m35507) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Historic Site|
|Tuscaloosa’s oldest house, The McGuire-Strickland, was built on this site ca. 1820; first occupant, Moses McGuire, Tuscaloosa County’s first Probate Judge, State Representative 1845; sold to Dr. Rueben Searcy 1849; to the Presbyterian Church 1851 as church manse. occupied by Rev. Robert B. White before and during the Civil War; 1866 Milton Strickland, Civil War veteran, purchased for his family home. To “save” the structure, Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society moved it to Capitol . . . — Map (db m35375) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Horace King|
|Born a slave in South Carolina in 1807, Horace King became a master bridge builder while working with John Godwin. With the aid of Tuscaloosa Robert Jemison, King was freed by act of the Alabama legislature in 1846. He went on to build many bridges and other structures across the South. Revered and respected for his organizational abilities, building skills and personal integrity, he formed the King Brothers Bridge Company with his family after the Civil War. After serving two terms in the . . . — Map (db m28913) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Hugh McVay — Governor 1837|
|As president of the state senate, he became governor when Clay resigned to succeed Gabriel Moore in the U. S. Senate. He remained in office for only four months. — Map (db m29031) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — John Gayle — Governor 1831 - 1835|
|He extended state laws into Indian lands and actively encouraged illegal white settlement there. A treaty with the Creek Indians in 1832 forced them to leave the state and resulted in nine new counties in east Alabama. Their "Trail of Tears" took the Indians through Tuscaloosa. — Map (db m29028) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — John Murphy — Governor 1825 - 1829|
|He initiated construction of the Capitol, the University of Alabama, and the State Bank. The legislature passed laws, known as slave codes, to severely restrict the rights of slaves, while citizens began to press for the removal of Alabama's remaining Indians. — Map (db m29020) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Joshua L. Martin — Governor 1845 - 1847|
|He presided over the transfer of the capital from Tuscaloosa to Montgomery in 1847. When the United States invaded Mexico Alabamians readily joined to fight, just as they would in 1861. — Map (db m29034) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Kappa Delta|
|Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta first national Greek letter sorority at the University of Alabama Chapter installed March 12, 1904. First members initiated in the Sigma Nu Hall by Katherine Lovejoy of Theta Chapter at Randolph-Macon Woman's College. First sorority to have Chapter in State of Alabama. Now oldest continuous Kappa Delta Chapter. — Map (db m28782) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — M60A3 TTS Medium Tank|
|Initially Manufactured by Chrysler Corporation
Maximum Speed: 30mph
Weight: 57 tons
Maximum range: 260 miles
Armament: Main 105mm gun, Secondary 50 caliber machine gun, M240 coaxial machine gun.
The first M60 tanks were issued to U.S. Army units during the fall of 1960 as a replacement for the M48 Patton tank. The M60A3 was introduced in 1978 and was the first production line tank to be outfitted with the tank thermal sight (TTS). The TTS provided the tank crew with . . . — Map (db m35512) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Malone Hood Plaza|
|The Autherine Lucy Clock Tower is dedicated to the sacrifice and commitment of a courageous individual who took a stand for change at a crucial time in the history of The University of Alabama. The open arches, which mirror the architecture of Forster Auditorium, illustrate the opportunities that are available to individuals who have the courage and persistence to walk through the door.
The Malone-Hood Plaza is dedicated to the courage and values of those who bore the burden of the . . . — Map (db m37918) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Margaret M. DuPont|
|Margaret McLeod DuPont was born and raised in Tuscaloosa and graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in Home Economics Education. She worked as a secretary for the Vice President of Reichhold Chemical and as a Stenographer for Mayor Daniel Eidman III, Civilian Personnel Director at Northington General Hospital, during World War II. Margaret met the future Mayor of Tuscaloosa, Alvin P. DuPont when he was a patient at Northington General Hospital.
Margaret M. DuPont has been . . . — Map (db m35380) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Marr’s Spring|
|Part of Marr’s Field, on farmland owned by William Marr, this spring was a major factor in the selection of this site for the University of Alabama campus in 1827. From its opening in 1831 well into the 20th century, the institution relied upon Marr’s Spring as its principal water source. Water flowing from hillside crevices was collected in these brick cisterns and hauled in buckets to the rooms of students and throughout the campus. A dam for a swimming pond and bathhouse was constructed, . . . — Map (db m40388) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Masons Marks|
|To identify their work masons often carved special marks into the bottom, sides, or back of the stones. Their supervisors were thus able to distinguish between the quality and quantity of each mason's work. Blocks for the building were quarried from local sandstone from the banks of the nearby Black Warrior River.
Over a dozen different masons marks and directional signs appear throughout the ruins. Such identifying marks had been used by stone masons since the European Middle Ages. — Map (db m29116) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Maxwell Hall|
|Here, on the highest point of the original campus, stands the first celestial observatory at The University of Alabama and one of the oldest observatory buildings in the United States. Through the efforts of Professor F. A . P. Barnard, the first section of this building was completed in 1844. Prominently visible today are both the eighteen-foot dome and the north-south ceiling aperture above the west wing. Under the dome, Barnard installed an eight-inch refracting telescope, and for the . . . — Map (db m34842) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Morgan Hall, 1910|
|Named for John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907).
As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865.
A member of the Alabama Secession Convention and a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army, Morgan was later (1876) elected to the U.S. Senate, where he became known as "Canal Morgan" for his strong support of a canal across Central America. — Map (db m29223) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River|
|Navigation improvements to the Black Warrior River (1888-1895) spurred marine commerce throughout the 20th century. Local ship-builders included the Perkins Brothers, Herman & Son, Corp of Engineers Boatyard, and Baker Towboat. Vessel types included barges, government workboats and towboats. Some of the boats built here were the Black Warrior, Dixie, Gold Bug, Mary, Nelma and R. G. Parker. Numerous navigation companies served the area, six had terminals on the river between Tuscaloosa and Holt . . . — Map (db m28924) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Old Bryce Cemetery|
|This is the oldest of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility. The first recorded burial dates to 1861. While only a few graves are currently marked, it is estimated that thousands of individuals are buried here. Bryce Hospital is one of the most historic and architecturally significant public institutions in the U.S. Established in 1852 at the height of the psychiatric reform movement known as "moral treatment," the hospital was . . . — Map (db m40450) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Old Tavern|
|Built in 1827 three blocks east on Broad Street. Stage stop and inn frequented by many political leaders while Tuscaloosa was State Capital. Moved to Capitol Park, 1966. — Map (db m29119) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Oliver-Barnard Hall — College of Arts and Sciences|
Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851.
On August 26, 2000, rededicated Oliver-Barnard Hall in honor of alumni and friend John T. Oliver Jr., trustee of The University of Alabama, and established as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House.
During his 28 years on the Board of Trustees (1971-1999), . . . — Map (db m29402) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Replicas gates for Northington General Hospital|
|These gates are replicas of the gates for Northington General Hospital, a U.S. Army Hospital that operated on this site during World War II. From 1947 to 1952, Northington General Hospital was the temporary home of DCH Regional Medical Center while DCH was under construction. The original gates are located at the south entrance of Snow Hinton Park.
Sponsored by DCH Health System in honor of its employees and West Alabama veterans. — Map (db m35517) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Rotunda Plaza|
|The Rotunda Plaza is dedicated to
John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey
(Classes of 1950 and 1951, respectively)
In recognition of the establishment in 1992 of the John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey Library Endowment Fund, ensuring continued excellence of library and information services to The University of Alabama.
The Flagstones embedded in this plaza mark the original foundations of the Rotunda, which housed the first library of the University of Alabama, and which, on April 4, 1865, was . . . — Map (db m30678) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Samuel B. Moore — Governor 1831|
|As President of the state senate, he briefly served as Governor when Gabriel Moore resigned to serve in the U.S. Senate. — Map (db m29026) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry|
|In Memoriam PerpetuamCaptain Bascom T. Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry
In the hour of their country’s peril. Unmindful of self and fired only by patriotic devotion
Bascom T. Shockly and nineteen students of the
University of Alabama
Joined themselves with twenty nine other Alabama Youths
In the formation of an escort company of cavalry
Which in 1864 entered the service of the
Confederate States of America
The had their first baptism of fire on June 24, 1864
Served faithfully with . . . — Map (db m33595) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Sigma Alpha Epsilon|
|Founded in Tuscaloosa on the campus of the University of Alabama on March 9, 1856. Its chapter designation, Alabama Mu, identifies it as the mother chapter of the national collegiate fraternity.
Noble Leslie DeVotie •
Nathan Elams Cockrell •
Thomas Chappell Cook •
Samuel Marion Dennis •
Wade Foster •
John Webb Kerr •
Abner Edwin Patton •
John Barratt Rudulph — Map (db m29607) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of Franklin Hall — (The Mound)|
|Franklin Hall, and early University dormitory designed by Capt. William Nichols, was erected on this site in 1835. Was one of the buildings destroyed by the Union raid on April 4, 1865. After Civil War the remains of structure were shaped into present mound. By early 20th century this mound had become traditional site for honorary tappings by The University.
Marker donated by Phi Mu Sorority in commemoration of its 50th anniversary at the University of Alabama. — Map (db m30677) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site of Queen City Park Softball Field — 1936-1967|
|Built on this site in 1936, Queen City Park Softball Field served as the cornerstone for the first successful community effort to promote the organized play of amateur softball in Tuscaloosa County. Its construction followed nationwide efforts to organize softball in 1933. Soon thereafter, Tuscaloosa men's and women's softball teams emerged as state and national powers, and the sport itself gained recognition as true wholesome family recreation. — Map (db m28788) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of The Stand In The Schoolhouse Door / Foster Auditorium, 1939|
|Foster Auditorium is the site of the June 11, 1963, “stand in the schoolhouse door” by Governor George C. Wallace in defiance of a court order requiring The University of Alabama to admit African-American students Vivian Malone and James Hood. President John F. Kennedy placed the Alabama National Guard under federal control to enforce the court order as Wallace refused to obey. Wallace then stepped aside and the students registered for class. That night, President Kennedy went on . . . — Map (db m37917) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Smith Hall, 1908|
|Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years.
Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been destroyed by Federal Troops in 1865. As State Geologist he made an unparalleled contribution to knowledge of the State's mineral resources. — Map (db m29403) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — St. John The Baptist Catholic Church — Erected 1845, tower and bell added 1888-1900|
|The first meeting of Catholics in Tuscaloosa was held in 1819. The first parochial school was opened in 1863. St. Paul’s Church, Birmingham, dedicated 1872, and churches in Selma, Blocton and Reform began as missions of this church; also originating from this church: St. Francis Chapel and Holy Spirit Church and School. — Map (db m40413) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Stillman College|
|Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute 1876 by Presbyterian Church U.S. under leadership of Dr. Charles Allen Stillman, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Tuscaloosa, to train Black ministers. Renamed Stillman Institute 1894 for Dr. Stillman, first superintendent. Became co-educational 1899. Past programs included seminary, high school, vocational school, junior college, school of nursing and hospital services for Blacks. Four year program begun, renamed Stillman College 1948. Accredited senior college 1953. — Map (db m35676) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Storrs Cadet Troop — Pro Virtute Et Patria — Company F, 7th Alabama Cavalry|
|Capt. Charles P Storrs Cadet Troop. Company F, 7th Alabama Cavalry C.S.A. organized in June 1863 under the leadership of Cadet Capt. Storrs; made up of cadets from the University of Alabama and of patriotic young men from Montgomery and vicinity; united with 7th Ala. Cav. Regt. As Co. F, July 22, 1863. First stationed at Pollard and Mobile for coast defense, 1863-1864; in Oct. 1864 transferred to command of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, Army of Tennessee and assigned to Gen. E. W. Rucker as . . . — Map (db m33636) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Architect|
|The Capitol in Tuscaloosa was designed by English-born architect, William Nichols, who served as State Architect from 1826 - 1832. Nichols also designed and built the campus of The University of Alabama.
Before coming to Alabama he had remodeled the North Carolina Capitol and Governor's Palace in Raleigh. He also designed and built several structures at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
After leaving Alabama, Nichols served as assistant state engineer for Louisiana where . . . — Map (db m29117) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Black Warrior River|
|Plied for thousands of years by Indians, then by early explorers and American settlers, this river extends 169 miles from the Sipsey and Mulberry Forks near Birmingham to its confluence with the Tombigbee at Demopolis. It drains 6228 square miles of one of the world's most ancient watersheds and has 130 species of fish and many rare plants and animals. Part of a navigable waterway system, this point is 339 river miles above Mobile. About 5 billion gallons of water flow past here each day. In . . . — Map (db m28901) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Friedman Home|
|Built 1835 by Alfred Battle; purchased 1875 by Bernard Friedman; willed to the city of Tuscaloosa 1965 by Hugo Friedman.
Traditionally a social and cultural center in Tuscaloosa, it was the residence of Virginia Tunstall Clay-Clopton, author of “Belle of the Fifties” and of the poet Robert Loveman. — Map (db m35368) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Gorgas-Manly Historic District|
The Gorgas House (1829)
First structure built on the original campus
The Round House (1860)
Used by cadets on guard duty, and another of the four buildings to survive the fires set by Federal troops in 1865.
Woods Hall (1868)
First building constructed after the Civil War and serving for the next sixteen years as the University.
Manly (1886), Clark (1886), and Garland (1888) Halls
Built as the State began to recover from the Reconstruction Era.
Tuomey . . . — Map (db m29396) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Jemison Home|
|Built by Robert Jemison Jr. Completed 1862, the 26 room Italian Villa style mansion is distinguished by its octagonal cupola and delicate carved fretwork. Jemison, a member of Alabama Legislature for 20 years (1840-63), 1861 Secession Convention (he voted against secession), Confederate States Senate 1863-65, helped establish Alabama Insane Hospital. Boyhood home Robert Jemison Van de Graaff, inventor of generator used in splitting the atom and of William “Bully Van de Graaff, first All . . . — Map (db m35321) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Little Round House|
|Constructed as a guard house for the Alabama Corps of Cadets during the early 1860's, the Little Round House provided shelter from inclement weather for cadets on sentry duty. Until 1865, it also housed the University Drum Corps, which was composed of rented slaves. One of the few University buildings not destroyed by Union forces when the campus was burned in 1865, this building became the office of the University surgeon in 1871, and was used later by non-military students as a residence. In . . . — Map (db m25387) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The M & O Railroad Trestle|
|This wooden and steel truss bridge was constructed for the Mobile and Ohio Railroad in 1898 by civil engineer Benjamin Hardaway, and 1887 graduate of The University of Alabama and former Tuscaloosa City Engineer. Originally 135-feet high with a 110-foot clearance, it was once considered by many to be the country's longest trestle at 3600 feet. This bridge, along with Old Locks One, Two and Three, greatly improved transportation in West Alabama and heralded an era of economic development in the . . . — Map (db m28992) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The President's Mansion|
|In 1838 The University of Alabama Board of Trustees appropriated funds for a more suitable residence for the University's new president Basil Manly. The mansion on this site was built between 1839 and 1841 from plans provided by Michael Barry who served as architect and building superintendent for the project. Although Manly, the mansions first occupant was a very popular president, the legislature regarded the structure as unnecessarily lavish. According to tradition, Louisa Frances Garland, . . . — Map (db m25414) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The University of Alabama School of Law|
|Founded in 1872 as the first law school in Alabama. Henderson M. Somerville was the first professor and later an Alabama Supreme Court Justice. The first dean was William L. Thorington (1897-1908). The school occupied, in turn, parts of Woods, Manly, Barnard, and Morgan Halls, and all of Farrah Hall, named for Albert J. Farrah, Law Dean, 1913 to 1944. The present Law Center, designed by Edward Durrell Stone, was completed in 1978. In the year 2000, the Law School had graduated more than 8,300 . . . — Map (db m35471) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway|
|From 1887-1915, seventeen locks and dams were constructed on the Warrior - Tombigbee Rivers. The first 3 were built on the fall line in Tuscaloosa. This was the site of No. 3, later No. 12.
The Warrior - Tombigbee Development Association, founded in Tuscaloosa in 1950 by leaders from Birmingham, Mobile and Tuscaloosa, led the effort to modernize the waterway. Six modern locks and dams, replacing the original 17, have been built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between Mobile and Port . . . — Map (db m28786) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuomey Hall — College of Arts and Sciences|
|Erected: 1888 Reconstructed: 2002
Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey.
Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began the Geological Survey of Alabama.
Tuomey Hall originally housed the University of Alabama's chemistry laboratories and offices for the Geological Survey. From 1926 to 1999, it housed the University's Army Reserve Officer Training Corps program. . . . — Map (db m29400) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa City Hall|
|Constructed in 1909 as US Post Office. First occupied April 1910, with Mrs. Maggie Miller as Postmistress. Federal courtroom, now City Council Chamber, with magnificent design and detail, on second floor, 1910-1968 Thomas A. Jones first Federal presiding judge.
Acquired by City of Tuscaloosa in 1968 and renovated as City Hall with George M. Van Tassel, Mayor, C. Snow Hinton and George K. Ryan, Commissioners. — Map (db m35376) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial|
|Provided by local veterans and other dedicated citizens, this memorial pays tribute to all veterans of Tuscaloosa County who were engaged in the nine major American wars, 1776-1976. Rising centrally is the mainmast of World War II heavy cruiser USS Tuscaloosa, which fought gallantly in five crucial campaigns. Surrounding the mast are nine granite tablets depicting the wars, within a broken circle, hopefully symbolizing the end of warfare.
On this site stood the chapel of the 140 acre . . . — Map (db m35475) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa First United Methodist Church|
|Organized 1818 by Ebenezer Hearn. First building on this site erected in 1834 included a church bell moulded in Boston by coppersmiths Paul Revere and Sons. Present structure with marble Ionic columns was constructed 1922; Education Annex in 1953; Chitwood Hall in 1964. Edward Sims, a member and prominent local leader, in 1826 built and donated to this church, Tuscaloosa Female College. William W. Brandon, Alabama Governor (1923-1927) was a member. Served by outstanding ministers: four became . . . — Map (db m35344) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa Second State Capital — 1826-1846|
|This stone commemorates the City of Tuscaloosa as the second state capital, January 1826 to January 1846.
Erected by the Alabama Centennial Commission and the Citizens of Tuscaloosa, and dedicated December 14, 1919. On the occasion of the one hundredth anniversary of Alabama's admission to the Union of States. — Map (db m28996) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — U.S.S. Tuscaloosa (CA 37)|
|Built: New York Shipbuilding Co. - Camden, NJ
Commissioned August 17, 1934
Type: New Orleans Class Heavy Cruiser
Displacement: 9,975 ton
Propulsion: 107,000 HP Stream Turbines
Speed: 32.7 knots
Length: 588 feet
Crew size: 708
Armament: nine 8 inch / 55 caliber guns, eight 5 inch / 25 caliber “dual purpose” guns.
From the beginning of U.S. involvement in WW II through 1944 the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa operated in the European Theater participating in convoy . . . — Map (db m35511) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University Club|
|Built 1834 by James Dearing. Purchased by Arthur P. Bagby who occupied the house 1837-41 while Governor of Alabama and since known as the Governor's Mansion. Presented to the University of Alabama 1944 by Herbert David Warner and Mildred Westervelt Warner. — Map (db m29120) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama|
|Endowed by Congress 1819
Ordained by State constitution 1819
And established by General Assembly 1820
Instruction Begun 1831
Unofficial Training School Confederate Officers 1861-65
Destroyed by Federal Army April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun 1867 and Reopened 1868. — Map (db m29612) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama Civil War Memorial — 1861 - 1865|
|The University of Alabama gave to the Confederacy - 7 General Officers, 25 Colonels, 14 Lieutenant - Colonels, 21 Majors, 125 Captains, 273 Staff and other commissioned officers, 66 Non-Commissioned Officers and 294 Private Soldiers. Recognizing obedience to state, they loyally and uncomplainingly met the call of duty, in numberless instances sealing their devotion by their life blood.
And on April 3, 1865, the Cadet Corps, composed wholly of boys, went bravely forth to repel a veteran . . . — Map (db m33654) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama’s Slavery Apology|
|Buried near this plaque are Jack Rudolph and William “Boysey” Brown, two slaves owned by University of Alabama faculty, and William J. Crawford, a University student who died in 1844.
Rudolph was born in Africa about 1791 and died May 5, 1846, from “Bilious Pneumonia.” Brown was born April 10, 1838, and died November 22, 1844, from “Whooping Cough.”
Jack Rudolph and Boysey Brown were among the slaves owned by the University of Alabama and by . . . — Map (db m40389) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Vought A-7E Corsair II|
|Manufactured by LTV Corporation
Type: Carrier-based attack-bomber
Crew: Pilot only
Maximum Speed: 693 mph
Power Plant: One 14,250 lb S.T. Allison TF41-A-2 turbofan
Weight: 21 tons
Tactical Range: 490 miles
Armament: One 20mm M61-A1 multi-barrel gun, two mounts for sidewinder AAM’s, 6 wing stations for 10,000 lbs of bombs or AGM’s
LTV corporation was contracted in March 1964 to manufacture the Corsair II, and the first A-7A flew on September 27, 1965, VA-147 was . . . — Map (db m35514) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Willys Jeep|
|In 1940, the U.S. Army put out a call to automobile manufacturers to produce a fast, lightweight, all terrain vehicle. The answer came in the form of the Willys MB. The Jeep was instrumental in World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam.
This jeep is decorated in the colors of the U.S. Air Force. The Department of the Air Force was established on September 17, 1947, shortly after taking office, the first Secretary of the USAF, W. Stuart Symington said “In this day when a powerful . . . — Map (db m35515) HM|
|Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Woods Hall, 1868|
|Named for Alva Woods (1794-1887), First President of the University of Alabama, 1831-1837.
Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in April 1865. For almost two decades, Woods Hall housed the entire university.
In keeping with the University's Military Governance (1860-1903), "The Barracks" -- as the hall was first designated--was patterned after buildings on the campus of The Virginia Military Institute. — Map (db m29221) HM|