|Kansas (Ellis County), Victoria — Capuchin - Franciscan Friars|
have ministered to the Catholics of Ellis County since 1878. Saint Fidelis Friary, Herzog (Victoria), was established by Father Matthew Hau, O.F.M. Cap., and Father Anastasius Mueller, O.F.M. Cap., at the invitation of the Bishop of Leavenworth, Rt. Rev. Louis M. Fink, O.S.B., on May 11, 1878. For several years this was the central station from which friars cared for a seven county area. This statue, a tribute to these followers of Saint Francis of Assissi, was dedicated July 28, 1976. — Map (db m59815) HM|
|Kansas (Ellis County), Victoria — Cathedral of the Plains — St. Fidelis Church — Capuchin-Franciscan Friars|
| Erected between 1908 and 1911 by German and German Russian Catholics, this native limestone edifice is one of the largest buildings on the Great Plains, its twin towers soar 141 feet above its 220 feet by 79 feet foundation.
Placing of the 100-pound blocks was by hand, assisted only by block and tackle. Besides collectively contributing $192,000 for the project, each parisioner was required to haul six wagon loads of stone from the quarries in southern Ellis County.
Moving spirit of the . . . — Map (db m59842) HM|
|Kansas (Ellis County), Victoria — Pioneer Family|
| The first twenty-three families of Volga-Germans arrived in Victoria on April 8, 1876, and established the Village of Herzog in the area north of this point. The first religious activities of these settlers centered around the Village Cross. In the following months and years they were joined by many more Volga-German immigrants. The community outgrew three church buildings before the present church was completed in 1912. This statue, a tribute to these pioneers, was dedicated July 28, 1976. — Map (db m59814) HM|
|Kansas (Ellis County), Victoria — Veterans Memorial|
Let the names of the battles
forever be written
in our history books...
but let the memory of
all those who served and died
be forever etched in
our hearts — Map (db m59816) HM|