|California (Napa County), Yountville — Cal 100|
|Dedicated to the honor of the men who were mustered in San Francisco to serve in the companies A, E, F, L, and M of the 2nd Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry, 1862-1865.
Dedicated by Company A, “The California 100" re-enactors
and Sam Brannan Chapter # 1004 E Clampus Vitus
28 August 1999
“Surely some Clamper brother rests among the veterans here” — Map (db m54755) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — Good Indian Go Big Hill — Bad Indian Go Bad Place|
|Interred in this spot are the ashes of the Wappo village Kaymus (Caymus) Indian Tribe, who in the American Period were known as the George C. Yount Indians. This tribe cremated their dead and all their articles, usually on a pyre or in a sweat house. A portion of the carefully preserved ashes were mixed with pitch and daubed on the faces and bodies of the mourners.
Erected by the Yountville Cemetery Association
Donated by Glenn Browne
September 2, 2000 — Map (db m16578) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — 693 — Grave of George C. Yount|
|George Calvert Yount (1794-1865) was the first United States citizen to be ceded a Spanish land grant in Napa Valley (1836). Skilled hunter, frontiersman, craftsman and farmer, he was the true embodiment of all the finest qualities of an advancing civilization blending with the existing primitive culture. Friend to all, this kindly host of Caymus Rancho, encouraged sturdy American pioneers to establish ranches in this area, which was well populated before the Gold Rush.
CALIFORNIA REGISTERED . . . — Map (db m18632) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — 564 — Site of Yount’s Blockhouse|
|In this vicinity stood the log blockhouse constructed in 1836 by George Calvert Yount, pioneer settler in Napa County. Nearby was his adobe house in 1837. And across the bridge his grist and saw mills, erected before 1845. Born in North Carolina in 1794, Yount was a trapper, rancher, and miller, and grantee of the Ranchos Caymus and LaJota. He died at Yountville in 1865.
CALIFORNIA REGISTERED HISTORICAL LANDMARK No.564
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with . . . — Map (db m18737) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — The Pioneer Christian Church Bell|
|This bell cast in 1848, hung from 1854 until 1896 in the Pioneer Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). On demolition of the church, the bell was rescued by Senator C.L. LaRue. Presented by the Ellis McLanahan family, In the interest of local history, to the Native Daughters for installation on the original site.
Dedicated by the
George C. Yount Parlor No. 322
Native Daughters of the Golden West
September 15, 1984 — Map (db m49553) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — 828 — Veterans Home of California|
|Established in 1884 by Mexican War Veterans and members of the Grand Army of the Republic who recognized the need for a home for California’s aged and disabled veterans. In January 1897 the Veterans Home Association deeded the home and its 910 acres of land to the State of California which has maintained it since that date.
California Registered Historical Landmark No.828
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the State Department of Veterans . . . — Map (db m18743) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — Yountville|
|Yount town site was established by George C. Yount in 1855 at the southern boundary of his Rancho Caymus encompassing Madison Street and the area north thereof. The original site contained four full and two partial blocks including six streets: Yount, Jefferson, Washington, Jackson, Monroe, and Madison with a public square. Lincoln has replaced Washington St. and Jackson is now part of the cemetery. Beginning in 1856 the area south of Madison Street was known for a time as Sebastopol as was the . . . — Map (db m54575) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — Yountville Community Hall|
|Built in 1926 on land donated to the Catholic archbishop by the DeBenadetti Family. The hall opened April 17, 1926 and soon became the focal point of social life throughout the Valley.
In 1956 use of the hall was restricted to church functions and called the St. Joan of Arc Hall.
The City of Yountville purchased the hall in 1965 and used a small portion for city hall. The building was again used for social functions and recreation.
Remodeled and dedicated to "The People of . . . — Map (db m49365) HM|
|California (Napa County), Yountville — Yountville's First Fire House|
|On this site in April, 1929, the County of Napa built Yountville's first fire house, with Homer Douglas serving as volunteer fire chief and Silvio Tonascia as assistant fire chief. The county provided a 1929 Fageol fire truck to be used by the Yountville volunteer firemen. It replaced a trailer with a tank on it, which replaced a "push cart" that the volunteer firemen purchased when they were formally organized in 1917. The tank was filled at a local well, as the only other source of water was . . . — Map (db m49605) HM|