|Texas (Williamson County), Circleville — 9045 — Cotton Cards Factory|
|Near this site in 1862-65. Used power from the San Gabriel River. Chartered by Confederate Texas during re-tooling of agricultural economy to meet demands of the Civil War years. Because trade of bales of cotton for finished cloth was no longer practical, and textiles had to be made at home, Texas imported through neutral Mexico, at costs of $4 to $20 a pair, thousands of cotton cards—stiff brushes that made fluffy cotton into firm, smooth “batts” to be spun into yarn or . . . — Map (db m2644) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Circleville — 9306 — David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House|
|Built 1850 by David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin, born in Tennessee, came to Texas 1828; fought in Battle of San Jacinto. House has 27” native stone walls. By its cool, perpetual spring, Confederates camped on way to Civil War. — Map (db m28819) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — Battle of Brushy Creek|
|A skirmish between Comanche raiders and a local militia near here in mid-winter (1839) led to the last major battle between anglo settlers and indians in Williamson County. The Comanche retaliated on February 18, 1839, by attacking several area homes, including those of Mrs. Robert Coleman and Dr. J. W. Robertson. Mrs. Coleman and her son, Albert, were killed. Another son, Tommy, and seven of Robertson's slaves were taken captive. The ensuing battle along nearby Brushy Creek claimed the lives . . . — Map (db m4825) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9320 — Bill Pickett ó (ca. December 1870 - March 25, 1932)|
|The son of a former slave, Willie M. (Bill) Pickett grew up in Taylor. Working as a cowboy in central Texas, he pioneered the art of “bulldogging,” in which a cowboy jumps from his horse to twist a steerís horns to force it to the ground. One of the few Black cowboys on the rodeo circuit, Pickett became a sensation, performing in the U.S., Mexico, Canada, and Europe. He retired in Oklahoma in 1930 and died two years later from injuries sustained in a riding accident. In 1971 he . . . — Map (db m13785) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9304 — Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody|
|A crusader for integrity in public office. Born in Taylor, Williamson County; son of Daniel and Nancy Elizabeth Robertson Moody. At 16 entered University of Texas, where he completed law school. After World War I service, won election to the office of county attorney, then an appointment by Governor Pat Neff to District Attorney, Travis and Williamson counties.
Won statewide notice for prosecutions of Ku Klux Klansmen in notorious flogging cases, and was urged by friends to run for . . . — Map (db m2461) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9034 — Booth House|
|This house was built about 1880 for Crawford Henry Booth (1843–1937), a prominent local rancher and banker. An unusual local example of the L-plan vernacular form, the house features many Queen Anne details, including an octagonal turret with onion dome roof, polygonal bays, arched windows, curvilinear porch with spindlework balustrade, keyhole windows, and decorative shingle work. The house remained in the Booth family until 1958. — Map (db m2480) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13616 — Dr. James Lee Dickey|
|Physician, humanitarian, civil rights advocate and concerned citizen Dr. James Lee Dickey (d. 1959) had a profound effect on the quality of life in his adopted hometown of Taylor. Born in McLennan County in 1893, he attended Waco public schools and Tillotson College, Austin. Military service in World War I interrupted his training at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee, but upon graduation in 1921, he returned to central Texas to help his widowed mother raise his eight siblings. He . . . — Map (db m3087) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9091 — First Christian Church of Taylor|
|Founded Dec. 9, 1877, with 22 charter members from churches in "old home" states. Gen. R. M. Gano of Dallas preached daily during ensuing week, and 20 others joined the church. The initial meeting was in an Odd Fellows hall. In 1878, a church building was erected.
Present Gothic Revival church was built in 1891. Architect: E. B. Mackin. Distinctive interior is preserved, although bell tower has been removed. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970. — Map (db m3379) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9092 — First Presbyterian Church of Taylor|
|The history of this church can be traced to 1876, when a Presbyterian congregation here was closely associated with the Presbyterian church in Georgetown. The Rev. John McMurray led both congregations, and the earliest written recognition of the Taylor church appears in 1878 denominational records.
Trustees for the church purchased this property in March 1878, and a frame sanctuary was completed by Thanksgiving of that year. A school operated by the Rev. Mr. McMurray was located across . . . — Map (db m3526) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9110 — Immanuel Lutheran Church|
|German immigrants began settling in the new railroad town of Taylor in the 1880s. Lutheran worship services were held as early as 1885, and the Rev. I. J. Glatzle and fourteen families formally organized this congregation in 1888. The Rev. Gus Szillat became the church's first resident pastor when a parsonage was built in 1892. A frame church building completed in 1894 was destroyed in a 1916 fire, but the congregation soon rebuilt. Worship services were conducted in the German language until . . . — Map (db m4308) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9327 — James O. Rice|
|South Carolina-born James O. Rice migrated to Texas by 1835 and served in the Texas Army during the War for Independence. In early days of the Republic of Texas, he protected frontier settlements as part of a Texas Ranger company. On May 17, 1839, in command of a volunteer force clashing with Mexican troops led by Manuel Flores on the North San Gabriel River, Rice captured vitally important documents related to the Cordova Rebellion against the Republic of Texas. He joined the Somervell and . . . — Map (db m4363) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9142 — Kimbro Family Cemetery|
|This small family cemetery contains the graves of members of a pioneer Williamson County family. Named for Daniel Kimbro, who was buried here in 1882, the plot remained in family ownership for over one hundred years.
Daniel Kimbro arrived in the Republic of Texas in 1836, the year independence from Mexico was declared. Settling first in San Augustine on the Sabine River, he later moved to Bastrop, where he operated a shop dealing in looms, spinning wheels, chairs, and wagons. He moved to . . . — Map (db m4440) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 12701 — Pioneer Publisher and Printer David Ervin Lawhon|
|Born in Tennessee on June 15, 1811. While very young learned the printing trade and worked at it in some of the principal cities of the United States.
Came to Nacogdoches, Texas, in November, 1835, in answer to pleas for volunteers for Texas Army. Was pressed into service publishing the “Texean and Emigrantís Guide,” with essential war proclamations. Also printed handbills, patriotic songs and legal documents. His newspaper was one of several printed in Texas during war for . . . — Map (db m25218) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13070 — Preslar-Hewitt Building|
|The early growth of Taylor as a vital cotton and railroad center is reflected in its historic business district. Hugo Hunke built this two-story commercial structure in 1914 to anchor an important block. It provided first floor space for two businesses and up to seven offices on the second floor. Early occupants included Strand Tailors and Menefee Grocery. It has served a variety of other businesses, but is remembered as the site of Preslar-Hewitt Pharmacy, 1929-1954. Detailing includes . . . — Map (db m25547) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9337 — Shiloh Baptist Church|
|Founded Nov. 2, 1854, by 18 charter members. Services and revivals were often held under brush arbors at two early meeting sties (Located 3 mi. NE and 2 mi. S of here). Building retains its simple pioneer style even with modern interior and siding. — Map (db m25178) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9310 — Site of New Bern Church, School, and Cemetery|
|Swiss and German immigrants who settled here in the early 1890s named their settlement for Bern, Switzerland. In 1892 the newly organized St. John Lutheran Church built a sanctuary which also housed the New Bern school here on 2.5 acres donated by Daniel Murphy. The New Bern Cemetery (0.1 mi. E of this site) was established in 1895 on 3 acres acquired from Friedrich and Anna Stauffer. Though a new church building (1912) and school house (1920) were moved to the nearby community of Wuthrich Hill . . . — Map (db m25417) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9334 — St. James Church|
|First Episcopal services in Taylor were held 1878 by the Rev. E. Wickens, a missionary. Visitations were also made by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas. Services were in homes and opera house. This church of cypress, oak and pine woods was completed 1893, in traditional cruciform plan.
The organ installed in 1914 is still in use. The structure retains original stained glass windows and interior paneling. — Map (db m24939) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13290 — Taylor Brethren Church|
|During the 1880s, many Czech Protestant immigrants who settled in the Taylor area were members of the Unity of the Brethren, founded in 1457 by followers of the Czech reformer and martyr Jan Hus. These local Brethren found it difficult to worship in area Protestant churches because of the language barrier – most conducted services in German or English. As a result, the Czech immigrants joined together to revive practices of the Unity of the Brethren and worship in their native language. . . . — Map (db m25219) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9354 — Taylor National Bank|
|A.O. Watson of Austin designed this red sandstone building for the Taylor National Bank, which was organized in 1888. Completed in 1894, it has also housed the law firm of Mantor and Briggs, an office of the Weather Bureau, and the Taylor Refining Company. The Romanesque and Renaissance Revival styling features detailing of limestone, granite, and pressed metal. The First-Taylor National Bank, the result of a 1930s merger, remained here until 1967. — Map (db m24949) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9359 — Taylor Post Office|
|The first post office established in this community opened in 1876 under the name Taylorville. In 1882, when the city was incorporated, it was renamed Taylor. The post office was housed in a number of locations until this structure was built in 1929-30. A finely crafted example of the Classical Revival style that characterized federal projects of the 1920s, the building features six round-arched windows on the ground floor; a balustrade and parapet with garland panel on the second floor; an . . . — Map (db m24950) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9360 — The Taylor Public Schools|
|From 1877 until 1880, several private schools served residents of the Taylor area. In 1880 a public institution, The Stock Company School, was built and maintained by a group of private citizens. A school for black children of the community opened the following year.
In 1883 a bond election passed which provided revenue for maintaining public schools in Taylor. Augustus Hill, former head of the Bastrop Academy, became the first Superintendent. He presided over a ten-grade system, which . . . — Map (db m25180) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9361 — The Tenth Street United Methodist Church|
|Services conducted in 1896-98 by the Rev. C. Charnquist in homes of Taylorís early settlers led to the founding (1900) of the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, North. Buying the chapel of a disbanded group, the congregation increased, moving their church to this site in 1911. Membership stabilized at about 240 in the 1920s. In 1935 English became the language in regular use. National religious trends led to name changes. The interior of the sanctuary was remodeled in 1950; annex added in 1963. Twenty-eight pastors have served this church. — Map (db m25421) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9366 — Tucker-Smith House|
|Built in 1892 by prominent local lumber man J.E. Tucker, this residence originally reflected the Queen Anne style. Decker Franklin Smith purchased the house in 1905. In 1916 Smith extensively remodeled the house in the Mission style, which was then gaining popularity in Texas. Its prominent features include a wraparound arcaded porch, paired Doric columns, and quatrefoil windows. Smith continued to live here until 1920. — Map (db m25507) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — Wedemeyer Hospital Site|
|Occupied 1915 by early prominent physician, Dr. G.A. Wedemeyer (Aug. 26, 1875 – Jan. 24, 1963), a native of Burton, Washington County, who came to Taylor 1905. Hospital was continuously operated until 1957; then became retirement home.
Exterior is in original style; interior modernized. — Map (db m25556) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 15206 — Wilson Springs Cemetery|
|Located on land originally granted to George Washington Glasscock, the Wilson Spring Cemetery was established by the family of John S. Wilson, who purchased the land in 1854. His brother, Robert W. Wilson, acquired the land in 1857, and a community which built up in the area of a nearby spring became known as Wilson Spring. John S. Wilson was the first to be buried on the family farm in 1874. The land was formally deeded as a public cemetery in 1899 and serves as the burial place for the Wilson family and their neighbors. — Map (db m25555) HM|