Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Tugaloo Town
North of this marker, in the center of the lake, once stood an important Indian town. The area now marked by a small island was settled around 500 A.D. and occupied by Cherokee Indians around 1450. Traders were coming to the town by 1690.
In 1716, while Col. Maurice Moore treated with Charity Hague, Cherokee Conjuror, a group of Creek ambassadors arrived. The Creek Indians, supported by Spain and France, wished to drive the British from the Carolinas in the Yamassee War. The Cherokees killed the Creek ambassadors and joined the British. By 1717, Col. Theophilus Hastings operated a trading center at Tugaloo where gunsmith, John Milbourne cared for Cherokee firearms. Indian agent George Chicken visited Tugaloo in 1725 and described it as "...the most ancient town in these parts."
Tugaloo remained a principal Cherokee town until destroyed by American patriots fighting these allies of the British in 1776.
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 127-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 36.423′ N, 83° 13.954′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County Touch for map. Marker is between US 123 and Old US 123 where it ends at the Tugaloo River, at the South Carolina State Line. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jarrett Manor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Traveler's Rest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Traveler's Rest State Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Traveler's Rest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colonel Benjamin Cleveland Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away in South Carolina); Tugalo Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Paul Anderson (approx. 5.1 miles away); Paul Anderson Memorial Park (approx. 5.3 miles away); George Washington Hitt (approx. 5.8 miles away); Toccoa Korean War Monument (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
Also see . . . Tugaloo. Tugaloo was a Cherokee town on the Tugaloo River, at the mouth of Toccoa Creek, near present-day Toccoa, Georgia and very near the historic tavern called Travelers Rest. (Submitted on February 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,507 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.