The Canal House
A native of Glasgow, Scotland, Brown came by canal boat to Allen County in 1847 with his wife Mary. He and his Scottish business partner, James Humprhey, were contractors for such area projects as canal locks, the county jail,and the Barr Street Market. In 1862, Brown sold "The Canal House" to Heinrich Drover, a German immigrant and canal boat captain who in later years served on the Fort Wayne City Council. During the 1870's, in the last years of the canal, "The Canal House" was home to several successive German families, all of whom worked on the canal. Later, the Nickle Plate Railroad used the house for storage.
As a project of the national Bicentennial in 1976, the house was saved under the direction of ARCH, the Fort Wayne architectural heritage society, and became the central offices of Arts United of Greater Fort Wayne.
Erected by Fort Wayne architectural heritage society.
Location. 41° 4.946′ N, 85° 8.394′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General Anthony Wayne (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flood Retention Walls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Journal Gazette Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Americans (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Fur Traders and the Military at Fort Wayne (approx. 0.2 miles away); Headwaters Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pirogue Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Police Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
More about this marker. The building was unoccupied at the time of this entry into the database.
Regarding The Canal House. There is also a very interesting artistic marker on the building itself, seen in the photos here.
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Canal House.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 2, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.