Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Indian Village

 
 
Indian Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 3, 1998
1. Indian Village Marker
Inscription. The Alabama and Coushatta Indians settled near here in the early 1780ís. Through the efforts of General Sam Houston, Texas gave them 1210 acres in 1854. The Federal Government purchased 3071 acres in 1928.
 
Location. 30° 43.176′ N, 94° 40.214′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 190 and State Park Road 56, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 190. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Midway Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Whitehead Home (approx. 12.6 miles away); E.C. Matthews Home (approx. 16.6 miles away); Moscow Male and Female Academy (approx. 16.6 miles away); Texas Statesman William Pettus Hobby (approx. 16.6 miles away); Moscow (approx. 16.7 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 16.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Native Americans
 
Indian Chief Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 3, 1998
2. Indian Chief Railroad Depot
The railroad depot was located on the Indian reservation however it is no longer in existence.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on December 8, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement