Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
S. W. Lowe House
Local merchants J. G. and F. D. Martin built this house in 1904. Rancher James M. Calhoun owned the property from 1910 to 1914 and cattleman Robert H. Muir from 1914 to 1926. Muir sold the residence in 1926 to Sam W. Lowe, a college educator, merchant, stock farmer, and civic and church leader who served three terms as Donley County judge. Lowe died in 1968, but his wife of 53 years, Lilac, continued to occupy the house until 1981.
Queen Anne Victorian
was placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior
Renovated 1982 by Dr. Zell SoRelle
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4403.)
Location. 34° 56.232′ N, 100° 53.667′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is on West 5th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 507 West 5th Street, Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within First United Methodist Church of Clarendon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of St. John Baptist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donley County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Stockton P. Donley (approx. ¼ mile away); Funeral Business in Clarendon (approx. ¼ mile away); The Clarendon News (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donley County (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.