Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
goods to the Confederacy than any
other southern city except Richmond.
Existing factories expanded; merchants
launched new manufactories; and the
C.S.A. established an arsenal and a
quartermaster depot. Uniforms, caps,
shoes, gun carriages, cannon shot,
rifles, sabers, pistols, tents, flour,
corn meal, and other products went
from Columbus to the front. This
activity expanded the city's
population to 15,000 by 1865.
Location. 32° 27.402′ N, 84° 59.708′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker can be reached from Front Avenue south of West 6th Street. Touch for map. Located between the railroad tracks and the Chattahoochee Riverwalk (below). Marker is at or near this postal address: Front Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Boats (here, next to this marker); Frontier Wars (here, next to this marker); Battle of Columbus (here, next to this marker); Horace King (1807 - 1887) (within shouting distance Thomas Greene Bethune (within shouting distance of this marker); Gertrude "Ma" Rainey (within shouting distance of this marker); Soft Drinks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mass - Produced Ice Machines (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding Confederate Supply. The Columbus Arsenal produced more than 10,000 rounds of small-arms ammunition daily, while the Columbus Naval Iron Works manufactured and assembled cannons and boilers for Confederate gunboats.
Also see . . . History of the Columbus Iron Works. (Submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 199 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.