Norwich in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
A descendent, John Fox Slater, was prominent in the local textile industry and president of the huge Ponemah Mills complex, which still exists today in the Taftville section of Norwich. In 1882 he donated, the then extraordinary sum of one million dollars, to educate “freed slaves" in the South. Eventually, 36 colleges were recipients of these funds. Slater was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for this act.
The attractive Romanesque styled Slater Museum (designed by Stephen Earle) was a gift by his son, William Slater, to the Norwich Free Academy in memory of his father. It was dedicated Nov. 4, 1886. The extensive collection of Greek, Roman, and Renaissance casts is considered the finest in the country. Included are such masterpieces as Michelangelo’s Pieta and the Greek, Venus De Milo Parade. Opposite the museum is Chelsea Parade. This area was once planted with Indian corn and later used training ground for the local militia.
Location. 41° 32.155′ N, 72° 4.908′ W. Touch for map. Located on the campus of the Norwich Fee Academy. Marker is in this post office area: Norwich CT 06360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Ashby McCloy (within shouting distance of this marker); John F. Slater (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Charles H. Osgood Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shattuck Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Captain Samuel Chester Reid (about 500 feet away); Cristoforo Colombo Monument (about 500 feet away); Norwich Soldier’s Monument (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norwich.
Also see . . . Slater Memorial Museum. (Submitted on March 9, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 259 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.