Lumberton in Robeson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 2015 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number I-22.)
Location. 34° 36.61′ N, 79° 1.298′ W. Marker is in Lumberton, North Carolina, in Robeson County. Marker is on Martin Luther King Jr Drive (State Highway 41) just south of Birch Street, on the right when traveling south. It is in front of the W. H. Knuckles Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1520 Martin Luther King Jr Dr, Lumberton NC 28358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Rural Health Department (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lumberton Bicentennial Park (approx. one mile away); First Hebrew Congregation (approx. one mile away); John Willis (approx. 1.9 miles away); Angus W. McLean (approx. 1.9 miles away); Burnt Swamp Association Honorable Hamilton McMillan (approx. 11.4 miles away); University of N. C. at Pembroke (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lumberton.
Also see . . . Thompson Institute makes history. 2015 article by Sarah Willets in the Robesonian. Includes photographs of the marker dedication ceremony. “It is a phenomenal event to know that Robeson County and the state value and honor the contributions of people who served in a very, very hard time in this country, said Demetria Taylor, the great-great-granddaughter of the Rev. Alexander H. Thompson, who helped found the Thompson Institute in 1881, along with his nephew Elias Thompson.” (Submitted on March 26, 2017.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
More. Search the internet for Thompson Institute.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 26, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.