Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Adrian in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. John's Lutheran Church

 
 
St. John's Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, April 8, 2017
1. St. John's Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  The Reverend William Hatterstaedt helped organize St. John's Lutheran Church in 1847. Until their first church was completed in 1849, the original congregation, fourteen German families, met in a church that belonged to the Episcopalians. Services were held every three or four weeks until 1850, when the Reverend Phillip J. Trautman was installed as the first full-time pastor. On July 1, 1861, the congregation laid the cornerstone for the present church. The structure was dedicated on June 29, 1862. It was enlarged in 1896. The handsome stained glass windows depicting Bible stories were installed in 1914. Since its organization, St. John's Lutheran Church, the mother church of the denomination in Adrian, has held continuous services.
 
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L887.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 53.777′ N, 84° 1.849′ W. Marker is in Adrian, Michigan, in Lenawee County.
The Former St. John's Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, April 8, 2017
2. The Former St. John's Lutheran Church Marker
Marker is at the intersection of South Locust Street and East Church Street, on the right when traveling north on South Locust Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 South Locust Street, Adrian MI 49221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adrian's Governors (approx. ¼ mile away); Governor Charles M. Croswell / Croswell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Adrian Fire Department / Adrian Engine House No. 1 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles Miller Croswell (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laura Smith Haviland (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laura Haviland (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Antislavery - Underground Railroad Movement (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adrian.
 
Additional comments.
1.
St. John's Lutheran Church moved to a new building about 3.5 miles northeast on North Adrian Highway (State Highway 52). The former building has been the home of the Reformed Baptist Church of Lenawee since 2007.
    — Submitted April 19, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
St. John's Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, April 8, 2017
3. St. John's Lutheran Church Marker
 
More. Search the internet for St. John's Lutheran Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.