Pontotoc in Pontotoc County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Pontotoc County Confederate Monument
1861 — 1865
[Bottom two tiers of lower base contain names and units of those who served]
[Long list of names down the entire shaft including the lower base steps]
[Brass plaque on bottom step of lower base with 3 added names.]
[Long list on name down shaft and lower setps of the base]
To the soldiers who
marched 'neath the
Stars and the Bars,
and were faithful to
duty, The R.A. Pinson
Chapter, U.D.C. erects
this monument in
[List of more names and units]
Erected 1919 by the R.A. Pinson Chapter, U.D.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 14.861′ N, 88° 59.899′ W. Marker is in Pontotoc, Mississippi, in Pontotoc County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and East Marion Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Located in the middle of town square. Marker is at or near this postal address: South Main Street, Pontotoc MS 38863, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pontotoc County Blues (a few steps from this marker); Pontotoc County Memorial Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierre D'Artaguiette (within shouting distance of this marker); Pontotoc Creek Treaty (within shouting distance of this marker); Chickasaw Female College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maj. Gen. William Colbert (approx. half a mile away); Lochinvar (approx. 2 miles away); Old Campground Methodist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pontotoc.
Regarding Pontotoc County Confederate Monument. Full-length figure of a uniformed Confederate soldier stands atop a tiered base on a four-sided shaft. Facing west, the figure holds his rifle in front of him, butt on the ground, and barrel in proper right hand. Decorative reliefs on the shaft include a waving Confederate flag and a dove flying downward, with an olive branch in its mouth." ~ Smithsonian American Art Museum
The sculpture was erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy at
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 146 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 23, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.