Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra
Templo de San Agustín,
capilla del antiguo Convento de
San Agustín. Actualmente pertenece
a la Universidad Nacional Autónoma
or the Temple of Saint Augustine, chapel of the ex-Convent of Saint Augustine. Today it belongs to the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
Location. 19° 25.78′ N, 99° 8.175′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is on Avenida República de El Salvador, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 76 Avenida República de El Salvador, Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Novitiate of the Convent of Saint Augustine (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Pedro Romero de Terreros (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Palace of the Counts of San Mateo Valparaiso (about 210 meters away); Factor Antonio de la Cadena (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Temple of San Bernardo Concepción Béistegui Hospital (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Diego Franco (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Hotel de la Gran Sociedad (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Regarding Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra. The Temple of Saint Augustine is an ex-convent of the 16th century of the Order of Augustinians in Mexico City. After the arrival of the Augustinian Order to New Spain, the construction of the convent began in 1541. The convent's conclusion was connected many years later: in 1561 the chapel was finished, in 1575 the monastery, and in 1587 the church was finished. However, on the night of December 11, 1676, a terrible fire broke out, leaving the church destroyed. The rebuilding of the church began a year later, in 1677. It wasn't until 1692 that it was concluded again. In addition to being a seat for religious celebrations, the convent of St. Augustine housed the College of the Most Holy Name of Jesus in which both Spanish and indigenous were taught. In 1861, with the application of the Reform Laws, the property was sold off in lots. By 1867, by decree of President
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.