Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Trinity A.M.E. Church
Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church of Lansing is the oldest black church in the city. Its first services were held in a building on North Washington Avenue. The church formally organized by the Reverend Mr. Henderson of the British Methodist Episcopal Church in 1866, was first called the Independent Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1875 it was reorganized as Bethel A.M.E. Church. In 1902, upon the death of the Reverend George R. Collins, the pastor for many years, the church was renamed the George R. Collins A.M.E. Church. It was incorporated in 1906. The church received its present name, Trinity A.M.E. Church, in 1964.
During the church's first decade, the congregation purchased a small frame building and moved it to a site on the 100 block of North Pine Street. In 1877 a modest brick church was erected near the original site. It served the congregation for eighty-eight years. In 1965 the Congregation was forced to relocate to make room for the State Capitol Complex building project. Selling its downtown property to the state, Ingham County's oldest black congregation then moved to this ten-acre tract, where it built a church and a parsonage. Starting with twenty-one members, the church had over four hundred members by its one hundredth anniversary in 1966.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 41.877′ N, 84° 35.926′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of West Holmes Rd. and Averill Dr., on the right when traveling west on West Holmes Rd.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3500 West Holmes Rd., Lansing MI 48911, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Malcolm X Homesite (approx. 1.8 miles away); REO Motor Car Company / REO Clubhouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); Wolverine Boys' State / Wolverine Girls' State (approx. 2.8 miles away); Grand Trunk Depot (approx. 2.8 miles away); Olds Returns to Lansing (approx. 2.8 miles away); Woodbury-Kerns House (approx. 3 miles away); Michigan Sheriffs' Association (approx. 3 miles away); Roswell Everett / Roswell Everett House (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Last updated on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.