Near Williamsburg in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Hancock the Superb
—1862 Peninsula Campaign —
The road entering the park is part of the original Queen’s Creek Road. Four redoubts were built along this road. To the east, across the Colonial Parkway, the old road trace is still visible, as is Redoubt 11. During the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1862, Redoubt 11 was the site of a fierce engagement between forces under Union Brig. Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock and Confederate generals Daniel Harvey Hill and Jubal Early. Hancock’s force consisted of troops from New York, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Maine. On the afternoon of the battle, Hancock “the Superb,” so named for his actions on this day, found Redoubt 11 unmanned and took “quiet possession.” Confederate troops from Virginia and the Carolinas made a heroic but disjointed
As the road proceeds west through the park, the old road trace forks to the north, following its original track toward Queen’s Creek and passing directly in front of Redoubt 12. A chevron-shaped fort, Redoubt 13, is a half mile north of Redoubt 12. It faces along Cub Dam Creek and anchored the extreme northern end of the Confederate line. These two redoubts were also unmanned during the Battle of Williamsburg. Their silent presence affords a forgotten vestige of America’s Civil War.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 16.978′ N, 76° 39.04′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in York County. Marker is on Lakeshead Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is near the entrance to Newquarter Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the A Union Advance (approx. half a mile away); Vineyard Tract (approx. 1˝ miles away); Fort Magruder (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Magruder (approx. 1.6 miles away); Magruder’s Defenses (approx. 2 miles away); Quarterpath Road (approx. 2 miles away); Peninsula Campaign (approx. 2 miles away); The Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The top left of the marker contains a watercolor by Lt. Robert Sneden of “The Battle of Williamsburg” – Copyright Virginia Historical Society, 1997. The bottom right of the marker features an engraving of “The Battle of Williamsburg” from Harper’s Weekly.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Williamsburg, 5 May 1862. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Tidewater Virginia, The 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Civil War Traveler. (Submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,075 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.