Gowanda in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gowanda Historic Site
Debbie Case, of the Cattaraugus Cutlery Case family, married H.N. Platts. With his father, Charles Platts, they established C. Platts & Sons Cutlery Works here in 1898. They were famous for making quality pocket knives. The building was purchased in 1910 by Charles Sipple for a car agency. This property was generously donated to the Village in 1987 by Donald and Frederick Campbell who started a Red and White Grocery on the premises in 1944.
Erected 1988 by Gowanda Village Board.
Location. 42° 27.806′ N, 78° 56.056′ W. Marker is in Gowanda, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Legion Drive and East Main Street (U.S. 62), on the left when traveling south on Legion Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gowanda NY 14070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gowanda Shrine Club No.1 Bell Huey UH-1H Helicopter (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ahaz Allen (approx. 1.3 miles away); “Taylor Tract” (approx. 1.8 miles away); Town of Perrysburg (approx. 3.4 miles away); Tree With Bank Account (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Lincoln Maple (approx. 7½ miles away); The First Pioneers (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gowanda.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.