Hamilton Park Community
Named for Dr. Richard Theodore Hamilton, an influential voice in the African American Equality movement in Dallas, the Hamilton Park Community was the first African American suburban development in Dallas. Intentionally planned in two phases with the segregated twelve-grade school at the center and each street named for prominent African American individuals and institutions, the community officially opened in 1954. By 1958, many homes built near the school were complete and middle-class families began to move in with the community complete by 1961 with 741 single-family homes.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18581.)
Location. 32° 55.017′ N, 96° 45.574′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Towns St. and Bellafonte Dr., on the right when traveling west on Towns St.. Touch for map. This marker stands in front of the Hamilton Park Pacesetter Magnet School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8301 Towns St, Dallas TX 75243, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); McCree Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mickey Charles Mantle (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Hockaday School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Addison State Bank (approx. 5 miles away); Frankford (approx. 6.2 miles away); Love Field Airman Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away); Texas’ First Airmail and Passenger Service (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Regarding Hamilton Park Community. The dedication ceremony for this marker was held at 2:00PM May 13, 2017.
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.