Near Martinsville in Henry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1930 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number A-135.)
Location. 36° 38.997′ N, 79° 52.193′ W. Marker is near Martinsville, Virginia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of Greensboro Road (Business U.S. 220) and Joseph Martin Highway (County Route 685), on the left when traveling north on Greensboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Martinsville VA 24112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martinsville Speedway (approx. 1.2 miles away); Martinsville (approx. 2.9 miles away); Henry County U.D.C. Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away); Near War's End (approx. 2.9 miles away); Henry County War Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fayette Street (approx. 3 miles away); Chatmoss (approx. 3½ miles away); Waller's Ford (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinsville.
Regarding Belleview. The historic house is private property. It is located off Joseph
Also see . . . 1974 National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form for Belleview. Statement of Significance, written by H.P.P.
“Belleview (or ‘Bellevue’), ancestral home of the late Justice and Mrs. Kennon C. Whittle, was built in 1783 for their fifth-great-grandfather, John Redd. Major Redd (1755-1850) was a pioneer settler of what is now Henry County, becoming for a period of four decades a member of that county’s court. He served in the War for Independence: primarily on the frontier, participating in several actions directed against the Crown's Tory and Cherokee supporters, but also at the siege of Yorktown.
“At the time of his death, Redd was related through marriage—his own and those of ten of his children and numerous grandchildren—to the region’s most prominent families. He is buried in the graveyard at Belleview, the estate he developed, which has always been owned by a member of the family. The Kennon C. Whittles acquired the property, eighty years after Redd’s death, from their cousin, Patty Redd Walker.
“Belleview, with its large acreage, remains in the possession of Mrs. Whittle, who, with her husband, the late Justice Whittle, restored the residence during the mid-1950’s. The house has superior interior woodwork: carved mantels, dentil molding, arched doorways, and wainscoting—all original and well preserved. It enjoys a splendid view across a valley of gently rolling countryside, plowed fields, grass land, and fences, with few, if any, visual intrusions on its historic aspect.
When Judge Whittle moved from the circuit to Virginia’s highest court in 1951, Chief Justice Edward Hudgins referred to him as ‘a worthy son of a noble sire.’ Indeed, as the obituary writers observed, in 1967, Kennon C. Whittle ‘paralleled an illustrious father’s career from lawn school to a seat on the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.’ Both he, and his father, Stafford Gorman Whittle (died 1919), had distinguished careers as trial lawyers and judges. The elder Whittle served on the high court from 1901-1919, his son from 1951-1965.” (Submitted on June 19, 2017.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of Belleview • Can you help?