New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory
About 1834, Évariste Blanc had this Greek Revival mansion built on his Bayou St. John estate. His widow, Marie Fannie Labatut Blanc, planned to give the property to the Archdiocese of New Orleans for a parish church as early as 1855 .Fifty years later, in fulfillment of her mother's wishes, Sylvanie Blanc Denegre donated the family home for the establishment of Our Lady of the Rosary Parish. When a temporary church was built in 1907, the Blanc mansion became the parish rectory, a function it has continued to fulfill ever since. The parish church, facing Esplanade Avenue, was dedicated in 1925, during the tenure of the founding pastor, Fr. William J. Vincent, 1907-1934.
Erected by Archdiocesan Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 29° 58.848′ N, 90° 5.245′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Moss Street north of Grande Rte. Saint John Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1332 Moss Street, New Orleans LA 70119, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pitot House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of All American Veterans (about 700 feet The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana (about 800 feet away); The Old Portage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Metairie And Gentilly Ridges (approx. ¼ mile away); Allard Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Duelling Grounds (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Didier Dreaux (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2017. 4. submitted on September 15, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.