Near Preston in Franklin County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Utah & Northern Railway
Jay Gould -- a nationally prominent financier and Union Pacific owner -- extended Utah and Northern service north from Franklin to Montana by 1880. A narrow gauge line until 1887, it helped build up Cache Valley and accounted for many new Idaho cities and towns father north. But small, wood burning locomotives had a hard time ascending this hill. After a more direct route 4 miles west of here was completed, service north of Preston was abandoned on this grade.
Erected by Idaho Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 257.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 8.454′ N, 111° 54.676′ W. Marker is near Preston, Idaho, in Franklin County. Marker is on Highway 91 (U.S. 91 at milepost 13.2) near Hot Springs Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2402 U.S. Highway 91, Preston ID 83263, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Bear River Massacre (here, next to this marker); The Battle of Bear River (a few steps from this marker); Bear River Massacre Monument (a few steps from this marker); A Battle Becomes a Massacre (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Earth Will Remember (approx. 0.8 miles away); Attack at Bia Ogoi (approx. 0.8 miles away); California Volunteers March to the Bear River (approx. 0.8 miles away); Change and Conflict (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Preston.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the same pullout as contains the monument to the Bear River Massacre.
Also see . . . Utah & Northern Railway, 1878-1889 -- Utah Rails net. Utah & Northern Railway was organized in April 1878 by Union Pacific interests to own and operate the bankrupt Utah Northern Railroad. The route was three-feet narrow gauge from Ogden, Utah, north to Garrison, Montana, a total of 466 miles. From Pocatello north into Montana, the route was changed to standard gauge on July 24, 1887. The narrow gauge line north from Ogden to McGammon, Idaho, was replaced in 1890 by a newly constructed standard gauge line. (Submitted on July 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.