Pearson in Atkinson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Atkinson Court House
The county was organized Jan. 1, 1918. The first officers were J.W. Roberts, Ordinary; Wiley M. Sumner, Clerk Superior Court; E.D. Leggett, Sheriff and Charles E. Stewart, Representative in legislature.
Members of the first Board of Commissioners, created in 1919, were Jeff Kirkland, David Weathers and J.M. Roberts Sr. The first Clerk to the Commissioners and County Attorney was L.A. Hargreaves.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 002-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 17.736′ N, 82° 51.198′ W. Marker is in Pearson, Georgia, in Atkinson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 441) and West Smith Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. The marker stands on the east side of the Atkinson County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Pearson GA 31642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Minnie F. Corbitt Memorial Museum Kinnaird Trail (approx. 7½ miles away); Salem Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); Guest Mill Pond (approx. 7.8 miles away); a different marker also named Guest Mill Pond (approx. 7.8 miles away); Raymond-Richardson Aviation School (approx. 12.7 miles away); Bethany Baptist Church (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Atkinson County. Description of Atkinson County and the architectural details of the courthouse. (Submitted on July 29, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Architecture • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 912 times since then and 96 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 3, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.