Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Welcome to St. Simons Light!

 
 
Welcome to St. Simons Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, July 18, 2017
1. Welcome to St. Simons Light Marker
Inscription. The Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling were completed in 1872, replacing the Lighthouse destroyed during the Civil War. Orlando Poe, chief engineer for the U.S. Lighthouse Board, supervised the design. Charles Cluskey, the architect of many outstanding buildings in Georgia, served as the contractor from 1868 until his death in 1871.

Since 1872, a 3rd order Fresnel lens made in France has projected the light that guides mariners into St. Simons Sound. The light was converted from oil lamp to electricity in 1934 and automated in the mid-1950s, ending the need for a resident keeper. The light continues to be an active Aid to Navigation maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.

In 1971, the Federal government conveyed ownership of the Dwelling to Glynn County. Since 1975, the Coastal Georgia Historical Society has operated the Dwelling as a museum of coastal history. In 2004, the Society acquired the St. Simons Lighthouse under the National Lighthouse Preservation Act

Gazebo
The gazebo to the left of the Keeper's Dwelling was once the ornamental cover for a water tank at the summer cottage built by shipping magnate F.D.M. Strachan on St. Simons Sound around 1910. It was donated to the Coastal Georgia Historical Society and moved to this property in 1989.

A.W. Jones Heritage Center
Built
Welcome to St. Simons Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, July 18, 2017
2. Welcome to St. Simons Light Marker
in 2007-08, the A.W. Jones Heritage Center serves as headquarters for the Coastal Georgia Historical Society. It houses the Museum Store, an event hall, archives, and administrative offices.
 
Location. 31° 8.025′ N, 81° 23.597′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on 12th Street south of Beachview Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Beachview Drive, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keepers of the Light (a few steps from this marker); Couper's Point (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Light House ~ 1810 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Historic St. Simons Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Early History of St. Simons Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Also see . . .  St. Simons Lighthouse Museum. (Submitted on July 31, 2017.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement