Stockholm in Stockholm County, Södermanland Province, Sweden — Northern Europe (Scandinavia)
“Lejonet” / “The Lion”
In 1625, a number of medieval buildings were damaged by fire on this site, of which one, an inn - "The Lion", had operated since 1605. In 1636, assessor Nils Nilsson Stiernflycht built this house under the direction of master mason Hans Ferster. The existing exterior was added around 1700. An inn was again operated here until the middle of the 19th Century, alternating between the names of "The Lion", "The Guilded Lion" and "The German Lion". (Marker Number 1052.)
Location. 59° 19.447′ N, 18° 4.27′ E. Marker is in Stockholm, Södermanland Province, in Stockholm County. Marker is at the intersection of Skomakargatan Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockholm, Södermanland Province 111 27, Sweden.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Källaren Fimmelstången / The Fimmelstången Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Kvarteret Cepheus / Cepheus Neighborhood (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Lydert Bartels' Hus (House) (about 150 meters away); Stuténska Huset / The Stuten Building (about 150 meters away); Carl von Linné (Linnaeus) (about 150 meters away); Erik Dahlbergh (about 210 meters away); Tessinska Palatset / Tessin Palace (about 210 meters away); Oxenstiernska Palatset / Oxenstierna Palace (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockholm.
Regarding "Lejonet" / "The Lion". The fire mentioned on the marker, the Great Fire of 1625 (Stora Branden 1625 ), destroyed a significant portion of the surrounding area on September 1, 1625.
Also see . . . Kvarteret Atlas (Wikipedia, in Swedish). A short article on the Atlas neighborhood, in which the Lion Inn was located, including a paragraph on the history of the inn. (Submitted on August 12, 2017.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.