Apostolic Lutheran Church
The Apostolic Lutheran Church, built in 1906 on donated land, is the oldest existing church in Embarrass. Its simple and restrained Gothic design is characteristic of many Lutheran churches in rural Minnesota. For several years before the church was constructed, members held services in their homes. In the early years, local preachers such as John Pylkka and Isaac Lamppa, Sr., led the services. Because the church was not affiliated with an official American synod, sacraments were sanctioned in Finland. The first wedding, a double ceremony, was held in the church four years after it was built. On March 27, 1910, Matt and Eva Norha and Gregorius and Maria Hanka spoke their vows before the Reverend John Pollari.
Pictured with Isaac Lamppa, Sr., is the 1925–26 confirmation class. The confirmed are from Apostolic Lutheran congregations throughout northeastern Minnesota who boarded with Embarrass families while preparing for the sacrament.
Services are still held in this church on special occasions, and its board meets annually.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Embarrass Co-op (approx. 1.2 miles away); Alma Norha Playhouse (approx. 1.3 miles away); Nelimark Sauna (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hanka Homestead (approx. 2.4 miles away); Longyear Drill Site (approx. 8.6 miles away); This Piece of Rock (approx. 8.7 miles away); Edmund J. Longyear (approx. 8.7 miles away); First Diamond Drill Hole in the State of Minnesota (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Embarrass.
More about this marker. Marker is to the west of the church.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2017, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2017, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.