La Chapelle House
The La Chapelle house stood at the corner of Union and Grolee streets in Opelousas for more that a century. Clerk of Court records indicate the home was built by Herbert La Chapelle, a French Canadian who moved to Opelousas where he purchased land on October 18, 1822. His daughter, Marguerite La Chapelle, sold the home January 31, 1846 to Jules Mistric.
The house was built by free people of color. The front part of the house has French doors and windows and a staircase called a garconniere in French. The garconniere is used to gain access to the attic, a place where the boys slept in these types of homes
From the 1800s to 1990, the home was owned by a succession of at least twelve families, including Bouvet, Husband, Pefferkorn and Perkins.
The house was used by the Opelousas Art League for several years. Eventually, the property was purchased by Dr. Van Christian, who later donated the house to the City of Opelousas. The Preservationists of St. Landry and the Opelousas Woman's Club provided funding for the structure to be moved to Le Vieux Village in 1991.
Erected by City of Opelousas,
Location. 30° 31.903′ N, 92° 4.47′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker is on East St. Landry Street (U.S. 190) east of South Academy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 828 East St. Landry Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sugar Kettle, c. 1800 (a few steps from this marker); Union Pacific Freight Depot (a few steps from this marker); Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (a few steps from this marker); Emar Andrepont Store (a few steps from this marker); Venus House (within shouting distance of this marker); Doctor's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosa B. Scott (Anderson) (within shouting distance of this marker); J.S. Clark High School (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
More about this marker. The City of Opelousas Tourist Information is located on the grounds of Le Vieux Village Historical Park & Heritage Museum at the eastern entrance of Opelousas along U.S. Highway 190.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2017.