Germantown in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Germantown Presbyterian Church
Federal forces occupying Memphis used the railroad to move troops and supplies. Concerned that Confederate raiders would cut the rail line, Gen. William T. Sherman wrote commander-in-chief Gen. Henry W. Halleck on June 28, 1862, "Had we not better clean [out] Germantown, a dirty hole?... They openly boast the Yankees shall never run a train over the road." Memphis newspapers carried rumors of looting and building-burning by regular troops, stragglers, or camp followers. Some accounts alleged that entire towns were burned, including Germantown, while others asserted that only one house was burned, or none. The Germantown Presbyterian Church minister, the Rev. Richard R. Evans, persuaded a Federal officer to spare the church because both were Masons. Together with the Masonic Hall, the church was saved and used as a hospital, commissary, and stable. The Baptist and Methodist churches were burned. Pvt. Henry C. Bear, 116th Illinois Infantry, wrote on December 16, 1862, that "a house in Germantown" had been burned. By 1863, a diarist wrote
Confederate supporters fought on until the end. The last engagement in Tennessee occurred about six miles outside Germantown on April 18, 1865, nine days after Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered in Virginia.
Germantown Presbyterian Church is the town's oldest public building. The Rev. A.G. McNutt and seven charter members organized the congregation on March 24, 1838; the Greek Revival-style frame church dates to 1851. The bell tower was added in 1867. The Rev. Evans (1820-1903) guided the congregation through the Yellow Fever epidemic of the 1870's, economic downturns, and the rebuilding of lives. He ministered here for 53 years. In 1950, the congregation rotated the church to face east, and it continues to serve as a chapel.
Erected 2017 by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 5.059′ N, 89° 48.617′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Arthur Road south of Poplar Pike, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2363 S Germantown Rd, Germantown TN 38138, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Germantown, Tennessee (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Comes to Germantown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Germantown Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Germantown Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oaklawn Garden (approx. half a mile away); John Gray Historic House (approx. one mile away); Raiding the Rails (approx. one mile away); Fort Germantown (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Germantown.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 164 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.