Wills Corner in Isle of Wight County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Isle of Wight County / Nansemond County
Area 314 Square Miles
One of the original Shires formed in 1634. Its name was at first Warrascoyack, changed in 1637 to Isle of Wight. Of the oldest churches in the United States is in this County.
Area 423 Square Miles
Formed in 1637 from New Norfolk County, it was first called Upper Norfolk County, but in 1642 it was named Nansemond for an Indian Tribe. Dismal Swamp is partly in this county.
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Z-113.)
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 36° 52.876′ N, 76° 34.933′ W. Marker was in Wills Corner, Virginia, in Isle of Wight County. Marker was at the intersection of Benns Church Blvd. (Virginia Route 32) and Oliver Drive (County Route 600), on the right on Benns Church Blvd.. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Smithfield VA 23430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Nansemond Indian Villages (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dumpling Island Bennís Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); African American Oystermen (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. Lukeís Church (approx. 4 miles away); Historic St. Luke's Church (approx. 4 miles away); Saint Luke's Church (approx. 4.1 miles away).
Regarding Isle of Wight County / Nansemond County. Nansemond County is an extinct Virginia county. The county became the independent city of Nansemond in July 1972 and in 1974 merged with the city of Suffolk. Suffolk was incorporated as a town in 1808, and as a city in 1910.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,273 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on September 10, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2. submitted on September 1, 2017, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.