Port Henry in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Village of Port Henry
Essex County N.Y.
— Incorporated May 1, 1869 —
Burned during the Revolution: rebuilt 1786
Became Lewis' Mills 1789
First Post Office established 1827
Called Port Henry in honor of
Henry Huntington of Rome, N.Y.
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church 1854
Christ Episcopal Church 1872
First Methodist Church 1872
Sherman Free Library 1887
Location. 44° 2.905′ N, 73° 27.591′ W. Marker is in Port Henry, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) and Broad Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Port Henry Village Pocket Park, Port Henry NY 12974, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I Memorial Honor Roll (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Champlain Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Shore Line (approx. ¼ mile away); A Busy Iron Port (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad: The "Elsie and Em" Realizing a Dream: the Rolling Stock Display (approx. 0.4 miles away); Industrial Shoreline (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Henry.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Port Henry-Moriah Official Website. (Submitted on October 14, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Port Henry at Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 14, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Village of Port Henry.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.