1845 • Cambridge, Vermont • Moved to Museum: 1950-1951
Measuring 168 feet in length with two vehicle lanes and a footpath, the Covered Bridge spanned the Lamoille River for more than one hundred years. The bridge's system of parallel-chord trusses and arches, which act in concert to support both the bridge and its load, permitted the construction of longer spans. The arch truss design was patented in 1804 by Theodore Burr, one of the 19th century's most successful bridge architects. Its roof protects against severe weather and adds stability, while the enclosed sides may have shielded crossing farm animals from distracting views.
The Covered Bridge served as the Museum's entrance until the late 1970s.
Erected by the Shelburne Museum.
Location. 44° 22.623′ N, 73° 13.793′ W. Marker is in Shelburne, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Touch for map. Marker and bridge are on the Shelburne Museum grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6000 Shelburne Road (US Hwy 7), Shelburne VT 05482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stagecoach Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Dorset House
Also see . . .
1. Covered Bridge. (Submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Vermont Covered Bridges. (Submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 1, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.