Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School
U.S. Navy Supply Corps School
Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the “Home” of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic training in leadership, retail operations, disbursing, food service, data processing, and inventory management to prepare them for their roles as “The Navy’s Business Managers” afloat and ashore. The school also provides specialized advanced logistics training not only to U.S. Naval personnel, but also to military officers from many foreign nations. Although the history of the Supply Corps dates back to 1795 it was not until 1921 that the first Supply Corps School opened in Washington, D.C. In 1924 the school was discontinued and reopened in 1934 as the Naval Finance and Supply School in Philadelphia, PA. In 1941 the school was merged into the Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration. In 1945 the school was moved to Bayonne, NJ, where it operated until 1954 when it was relocated to this site. Also located on this site is the Supply Corps Museum which depicts the history, heritage and traditions of the Supply Corps.
(See other side for Georgia State Normal School)
In February 1860 the University of Georgia purchased 93 acres surrounding this site and later sold all but 30 acres to finance the construction of Rock College, a preparatory school for the University of Georgia. Between 1862 and 1891 the school served the educational needs of Georgia in a variety of roles. In 1891 the Georgia General Assembly established the State Normal School on this site to train Georgians to be rural teachers. The nearby commercial area soon adopted the name “Normal Town.” The oldest remaining academic building on campus, Winnie Davis Hall, was erected in 1902 as a memorial to the daughter of Jefferson Davis. In 1910 the Carnegie Library was erected with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Because of its historical and educational significance, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1929 the institution’s name was changed to The Coordinate College. During WW II, the campus was used by the U.S. Army as a training site and after WW II the school was again occupied by women students attending the university. In 1953 the site was purchased by the U.S. Navy as a permanent location for its Supply Corps School.
Erected by U.S. Navy Supply Corps.
Location. 33° 57.85′ N, 83° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1425 Prince Avenue, Atlanta GA 30306, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. May Erwin Talmadge (approx. 0.2 miles away); America’s First Garden Club (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camak House: (approx. 1.1 miles away); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
More about this marker. This marker, erected in the 1990s, replaced a Georgia Historical Commission Marker "Old State Normal School," 029-3. which stood at the Carnegie Library on Fox Road on the campus.
Regarding U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School. The U.S. Navy Supply Corps School moved to Rhode Island in 2011 as part of the Navy's Base Realignment and Closure process. The site is now the University of Georgia's Health Sciences
Categories. • Education • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 18, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.