Bloomingdale in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Metropolitan Wesley A.M.E. Zion Church
The Gate Way to Freedom
2nd Church Built 1833.
Admitted to Philadelphia-Baltimore Conference, 1837.
3rd Church Built 1888.
Relocated present site, 1956.
Bishop Raymond Luthe Jones, Presiding Bishop, 4th Episcopal District.
Dr. William B. Baker, Presiding Elder.
Rev. R. H. Collins Lee, Minister.
Alphonzo Starks, Ch.
Hattie H. Williams, Sec.
William H. Moore, Treas.
Charles W. Wade, M.D.
Mabel H. Shaw
Edward W. Weyms
Stewart A. Hardy
R. H. Collins Lee
Frank H. Brown, P.S.
Robert E. Howard, Sec.
Norman J. Wise, Treas.
Samuel S. Jordan
James E. Martin
Edward D. Hill
Metropolitan is the mother church of all Zion Churches in Washington, D.C. Here was organized the first Negro public school and served as the end of the Underground Railroad. Was platform used by Fred Douglas[s] and Charles Sumner.
Location. 38° 54.765′ N, 77° 0.555′ W. Marker is in Bloomingdale, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1712 North Capitol Street, NW, Washington DC 20002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elks Columbia Lodge No. 85 ( approx. 0.4 miles away); A Voice from the South ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Christian Fleetwood and Sara Fleetwood Residence Site ( approx. half a mile away); T Street Elites ( approx. half a mile away); Best in the Country ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Willis Richardson Residence ( approx. 0.6 miles away); The Flower Garden of Washington ( approx. 0.6 miles away); The Iceman's Arena ( approx. 0.6 miles away).
Also see . . . James Varick, 1st bishop, AMEZ Church. (Submitted on September 3, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, AMEZ
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,999 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.