Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant
Erected 1971 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10164.)
Location. 32° 33.089′ N, 94° 22.048′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is on North Washington Avenue 0.1 miles north of Ginocchio Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker and associated "Official Historical Medallion" are mounted on front wall of subject building, eye-level at the left side of the entrance door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 N Washington Ave, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Texas & Pacific Depot (a few steps from this marker); Ginocchio-Cook-Pedison House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Allen House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (approx. ¼ mile away); Telegraph Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Harrison County (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . .
1. Ginocchio Hotel.
The focal point of the Ginocchio Historic District, the Ginocchio Hotel, was built and designed by C.G. Lancaster in 1896 for Charles A. Ginocchio. The establishment of the railroad in Marshall resulted in rapid growth within the county and became a hub for transportation, replacing the riverboat transportation in Jefferson. After the Texas and Pacific Railroad relocated its main shops from Hallsville to Marshall in 1873 and expanded its lines, many people moved into the surrounding area hoping to achieve financial success in the newly rising economy. The first floor contained a ballroom, several shops, and a restaurant, the second floor held thirty rooms, and the third floor contained ten rooms. The hotel remained in business until 1968 when it was (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant.
The Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant is located at 700 North Washington Ave., across the tracks from the train depot in Marshall. Local entrepreneur Charles Ginocchio hired architect C. G. Lancaster to design the hotel and oversee its construction, which was completed in 1896. The structure is noted for the interior paneling and staircase of rare curly pine and other rare innovations. The hotel has undergone restoration and various uses since the heyday of railroad travel. The small brick building in the foreground is the AMTRAK ticket office. Passengers descend through a tunnel under the tracks to reach the depot (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. 120 year-old Marshall landmark Ginocchio to open.
(Includes pictures of Ginocchio Hotel interior)
After two years of renovation and weeks of patient testing, Alan Loudermilk, patent attorney and property owner, said the time is finally right to open the doors of the Ginocchio for the general public to sample fine dining within its historic walls.
In 1879, a drunk train engineer named Jim Currie shot famed actor Maurice Barrymore, head of the Barrymore acting family, and another actor named Benjamin Porter (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.