Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Marion County Depression Era Roadside Park
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16866.)
Location. 32° 44.249′ N, 94° 20.783′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2208 half a mile east of U.S. 59, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trammel's Trace (here, next to this marker); Jefferson Stilley-Young House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Early Jefferson Lodge Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Federal Court and Post Office Building (approx. 1.3 miles away); Brown-Bender House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mergenthaler Linotype Typesetting Machine (approx. 1.3 miles away); Captain William Perry (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
Also see . . . Depression-era Roadside Parks.
Texas started building roadside parks in 1935 and by 1938 there were 674 such “wayside” parks scattered throughout Texas. Today, only 41 of the 1930s-style parks still exist statewide. Most of the old parks were built by the National Youth Administration during the Great Depression. The NYA provided employment to young people between 16 and 25. Lyndon B. Johnson, the nation’s 36th president, was the first director of the Texas NYA from 1935 to 1937. (Submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.