Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Del Rio
Six individuals met on September 23, 1882 to create the Methodist Episcopal Church South, the forerunner of First United Methodist Church of Del Rio. These first congregants were Randolph Pafford, J. Lyman Bailey, William M. Bailey, Sarah Bailey, Rosalie Roberts and William G. Hancock. During the earliest days of the congregationís existence, church meetings were held in the homes of members. Pafford donated a town lot and $500 to the church in 1883, and a wood-frame structure was soon erected on cemetery street (now Pecan Street), on what was then the northern edge of town. Growth of the congregation was modest into the 20th century, and a stone chapel was constructed in 1903-1904.
The congregation grew to slightly greater than three hundred members by 1917, as members opened their homes to soldier trainees at Camp Del Rio, later known as Camp Michie. Continued growth of the congregation created the necessity for another, larger facility, and the first service in the new building was held on May 31, 1931. The larger sanctuary was well justified, as the congregation doubled in size to over seven hundred members between the World Wars. The growth of the city and the opening of Laughlin Air Force Base facilitated the enlargement of the membership to more than nine hundred during the 1960s. In 1968, the Methodist Church
The church has promoted missions and charitable work after numerous hurricanes, as well as abroad in Mexico and Liberia, and also provides numerous outreach programs throughout the local community.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15363.)
Location. 29° 21.646′ N, 100° 53.806′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Mill Street, on the right when traveling west on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of subject church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Spring Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Val Verde County Courthouse Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); John Taini (about 700 feet away); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (about 800 feet away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. half a mile away); Old Perry Building (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church of Del Rio, Texas.
(includes old photographs) One of the oldest congregations in Del Rio, Texas is that of the Methodist Church, now located in a chapel on Spring Street. Methodist ministers and missionaries visited the small San Felipe Del Rio community during the 1870s and early 1880s. Andrew Jackson Potter, visiting in 1872, may have been the first preacher in the village. In 1881, the community was placed under the supervision of San Antonioís Methodist clergy. The origins of the congregation date back to September 23, 1882, before the creation of Val Verde County or the incorporation of the City of Del Rio, but just after the completion of the railroad link from San Antonio and the dramatic population growth of the town. (Submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.