Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Washington County Courthouse
Built in 1940 with funds granted by the Public Works Administration, this is the fourth courthouse to serve Washington County since its formation in 1835. Constructed during the tenure of County Judge Sam Low, the massive white limestone courthouse was designed in the art moderne style. Details of that style include the light fixtures and cast aluminum eagles at the entries. The building stands as a symbol of Washington County government.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8401.)
Location. 30° 10.037′ N, 96° 23.868′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on East Main Street (Business U.S. 290) west of South Baylor Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of the Courthouse main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Main Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brenham Maifest Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (within shouting distance of this marker); Schmid Bros. Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bassett and Bassett Banking House (about 500 feet away); Brenham Normal and Industrial College (approx. 0.9 miles away); Prairie Lea Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Also see . . .
1. Washington County Courthouse. (includes interior and exterior courthouse pictures) Although the marker states that the current courthouse is the county's fourth, the display inside (with history provided by the Brenham Heritage Museum) lists six courthouses: 1837 (at Washington-on-the-Brazos,) 1841 (at Mount Vernon), and the other four at Brenham: 1844, 1855, 1884 and 1939. (Submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Washington County Courthouse – 1939. (includes interior and exterior courthouse pictures) Travis Broesche was selected to design a Moderne courthouse just before the end of the 1930s, and his work was financed with funds from the Public (Submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Washington County Courthouse. (includes interior and exterior courthouse pictures) Early in the 1900’s, the 1884 courthouse was severely damaged by an intense hurricane, along with its roof. It was patched up – but eventually replaced. The 1939 moderne courthouse is certainly one of the best in Texas. If nothing else – look at the eagle over the door! The courthouse was built using WPA funds. Looking at other pictures – the interior is nice. The court room is perhaps the crowning jewel of this 1939 masterpiece. (Submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.