Malin in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Ranch of J. Frank Adams
Pioneered local irrigation projects.
A founding father of Merrill.
Erected 1982 by Klamath County Historical Landmark Commission, Klamath County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 1.443′ N, 121° 32.779′ W. Marker is in Malin, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is at the intersection of Oregon Route 50 and Dodds Hollow Road on State Route 50. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Malin OR 97632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dennis Crawley Cabin (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stone Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Stone Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Applegate Trail (approx. 1.2 miles away); Applegate Trail - Clammett Lake (approx. 3.4 miles away in California); Camp Tulelake (approx. 3.9 miles away in California); White Lake City (approx. 5.1 miles away); Tulelake World War II War Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away in California).
More about this marker. Marker has been tilted and is leaning again a fence post.
Regarding The Ranch of J. Frank Adams.
Born in Placerville, California
J. Frank Adams, son of George and Sarah (Hoag) Adams. At age 14 when living in Sacramento, California he was called upon to support the family due to the unfortunate desertion of his father, who at that time was engaged in freighting to the gold mines of the Mother Lode country. Immediately the boy found employment in driving a stage from Redding, Calif., to Ashland, Oregon. Later he entered into partnership with George Chase of Yreka, Calif., and freighted into Scotts Valley, Calif. With Charley Crowely, then a boy of 16, Frank Adams rode into Butte Creek country to the north and worked for Doten and Fairchild breaking horses for the American soldiers to use in the Modoc War in 1872. Mr. Adams then was 17, but commanded the respect of people wherever he went. He once fulfilled his obligations by preaching a funeral sermon for a homesteader's boy, it being 40 miles through impassable snow drifts to the
Often he was called upon to act in emergencies, setting broken bones, reducing swellings in man or beast by the crude method of his pocketknife, even delivering the baby of a destitute family without aid of doctor or nurse, or even clothing for the infant.
In choosing Klamath country, he took 200 mares on shares to try for a stake. He did not want land as he did not consider it worth anything, but was compelled to take up a piece to have a place to build corrals on. Later changed his opinion and took up every claim he was entitled to. He was instrumental in importing registered Percherons from France for use in Klamath County and brought thoroughbred stallions from California, also "California Promotion Boy" the first registered Holstein bull in southern Klamath County.
The outstanding service of Mr. Adams for this county was the first farm irrigation project started in the summer of 1882. With the aid of money borrowed from Van Brimmer brothers, and on his own initiative, built a canal 18 miles long with its head on Little Klamath, together with laterals to bring the water to and and serve 10,000 acres of land on the Lost River side. He owned and operated this system until 1904, when he sold it to the Federal Government.
In 1902 he purchased the first dredger brought into Klamath County. Later Mr. Adams became the manager of the Lakeside Company which had as its purpose the settlement of Malin section.
In 1888, J. Frank Adams married Fanny Steele. Their children are: William Walter, J. Frank, Jr., and Robert Steele Adams. He married Martha Cardwell and had a son, Dr. J. Martin Adams.
One day in September 1929, while riding hard rounding up his horses on the Doublehead range, his horse fell and caused his death.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.