Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

History Right Here - Horse Powers

 
 
History Right Here - Horse Powers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
1. History Right Here - Horse Powers Marker
Inscription. Both horses and horsepower figure prominently in this site's past. In the 1860s, William J. Plymale (1837-1904) opened a livery stable at Oregon and "D" streets. He sold feed and kept horses and buggies on hand.

Steam Driven Horsepower
Change came to Jackson County when the first steam powered locomotive arrived in 1884. Aside from the eventual end of the horse and buggy era, a major economic and political shift occurred.

Jacksonville, bypassed by the rail line, lost its status as the region's business hub. In an attempt to boost Jacksonville's economy a five mile railway was built in 1891 connecting it with the main line in Medford. The operations of this line -- the Rogue River Valley Railway -- were based on this site.

End of an Era
In 1916 the Jacksonville rail line was added to the Medford trolley went bankrupt. In the 1920s most of the line's tracks and buildings were dismantled. The depot, now the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce, is the one remaining building.
 
Erected by Southern Oregon Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 18.91′ N, 122° 58.085′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of West C Street
Railroad remnants on W C Street image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
2. Railroad remnants on W C Street
and N Oregon St, on the right when traveling west on West C Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville OR 97530, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rogue River Valley Railroad Depot (a few steps from this marker); History of Local Telephone Service (within shouting distance of this marker); Beekman Bank Well (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacksonville’s Rogue River Valley Railway 1891-1925 (about 300 feet away); China Quarter (about 400 feet away); World War II Three Trees Memorial (about 400 feet away); History Right Here - Going for the Gold (about 500 feet away); City Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Regarding History Right Here - Horse Powers. WhatWasThere.com tells us more about the former railroad: In 1884, the Oregon and California Railroad completed its rail line south from Portland to the Oregon-California border. For the Rogue River valley portion, they selected a route along the valley floor, thus situating Jacksonville about ten miles from the nearest railroad station. Some prominent residents of the community, hoping to keep Jacksonville economically stable, formed a company to construct a railway to Medford, the new town created by the O & C railroad. The
History Right Here - Horse Powers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
3. History Right Here - Horse Powers Marker
right-of-way ran west along C Street to a point on the west side of Oregon Street, where the Rogue River Valley Railroad Station was built in 1891. The local railroad line to Medford constructed and operated by Honeyman, DeHart and Company of Portland failed to secure Jacksonville's future, however: the grade of the rail bed was too steep for the small engines used to permit either fast service or the the transport of heavy loads. Central Point, Medford, and Ashland all lay along the main line from Portland to Sacramento; all prospered at Jacksonville's expense. In addition, because the Oregon and California Railroad owned every other building in Medford, it had an incentive to encourage settlement and industry there. The Jacksonville-Medford line was abandoned in 1925. The railroad station has been turned around since that time, but it still stands on the original site. It is now owned by the Jacksonville Museum.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement