Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Enfield in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Enfield

 
 
Enfield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 5, 2018
1. Enfield Marker
Inscription.
Enfield
Settled 1680
Established as the township of Enfield, 1683, this area was part of the Springfield Plantation granted to William Pynchon and others by the Massachusetts General Court. Springfield was settled in 1636, but no effectual grants were made here until after King Philip's War of 1675-1676.

In 1679 John Pease and his brother Robert, of Salem, Massachusetts, visited the land and spent the winter alone, in a hut on the hillside of the present Enfield Street Cemetery. The next spring, 1680, they removed their families along with those of their father John Pease, Sr. and Elisha Kibbe to Freshwater Plantation. Within three years thirty more families from Salem and vicinity joined them.

In 1688 a purchase for twenty-five pounds sterling was made of the Indian sachem Nottatuck of all lands from the Asnuntuck or Freshwater Brook to the Umquatuck at the foot of the falls, and extending eight miles east. The Springfield Committee governed Enfield until 1693, when the town began to control its own affairs.

Enfield became part of Connecticut in 1749 by secession from the royal government of Massachusetts Bay and union with the charter government of Connecticut. The groundwork for such a step had been laid more than a century earlier by an error of the surveyors Woodward and
Enfield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 5, 2018
2. Enfield Marker
( back )
Saffery, who in 1642 established a boundary between the colonies running southwestward nearly to the site of Windsor.
Erected by the Town of Enfield
the American Revolution Bicentennial
Commission of Enfield
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1976

 
Erected 1976.
 
Location. 41° 58.623′ N, 72° 35.531′ W. Marker is in Enfield, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Enfield Street (U.S. 5) and S. Road, on the left when traveling north on Enfield Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Enfield Historical Society. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1294 Enfield Street, Enfield CT 06082, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Town Hall of Enfield (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Abbey (within shouting distance of this marker); First Church in Enfield (approx. half a mile away); Founders of Enfield (approx. half a mile away); Enfield World War II Honor Roll (approx. 1˝ miles away); Enfield Monument to Veterans (approx. 1.6 miles away); Enfield Veterans Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); Enfield Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Enfield.
 
Also see . . .
Enfield Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 5, 2018
3. Enfield Marker

1. Town of Enfield. (Submitted on February 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Enfield, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.