Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverend Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson contributed to the building fund.
This Federal-style building, based on a design by William Thornton, architect of the Capitol, was opened in 1804 and consecrated in 1809. The foundations, walls, roof and bell tower are original.
Founded as a Christian community for the worship of God, the dissemination of the Gospel, and the furnishing of spiritual and material help to those in need, St. John's remains dedicated to these purposes.
Erected by St. John's Episcopal Church.
Location. 38° 54.462′ N, 77° 3.909′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of O Street NW and Potomac Street NW on O Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3240 O Street NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Colonel Ninian Beall (a few steps from this marker); St. John's: 200 Years of History (a few steps from this marker); The Last Home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); President John F. Kennedy (about 500 feet away); A Drugstore Like No Other (about 500 feet away); Let the Good Times Roll (about 700 feet away); Georgetown's Watering Holes (about 700 feet away); Dumbarton United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.