Coos Bay in Coos County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Koos No. 2
Working On Water
Koos No. 2 was the second of several tugboats with the Koos name to work for the Knutson Towboat Company.
Built in 1924 by Frank Lowe at his Marshfield shipyard, Koos No. 2 went to work with her sister tug Koos.
The original Koos was used as a travel boat by the Simpson family to get from their estate at Shore Acres to the Coos Bay waterfront. The photograph below, taken in the early 1900s. is the Koos before its conversion to a tug.
What's in a name? According to Oregon Historical Names, Coos is the name given the Native Americans who lived in this area. The Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804 to 1807 made the first mention of them as Cook-Koo-Oose. Later spellings by others are Cahoose, Koo-as, Kowes, Koos, Coose, and finally, Coos.
Location. 43° 22.081′ N, 124° 12.719′ W. Marker is in Coos Bay, Oregon, in Coos County. Marker is on Oregon Coast Highway (U.S. 101) north of Central Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the restored Koos No. 2 tugboat, in an interpretive kiosk along the Coos Bay Board Walk. Marker is in this post office area: Coos Bay OR 97420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Shipping (here, next to this marker); Tug Power (a few steps from this marker); What is a Tugboat? (a few steps from this marker); Tugboat Ancestors (a few steps from this marker); The Changing Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Changing Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Changing Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coos Bay.
Also see . . . Knutson Towboat Company History.
Knutson Towboat Company was founded in 1915 by Louis Knutson. "Captain Louie", as he was known, bought his first boat and had it converted to tow logs. The tug Koos was the first of many boats. Captain Louie had the Koos #2 built in 1924. Knutson Towboat Company expanded operation in 1940. Several log dumps and rafting operations were started in Coos County. (Submitted on February 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.