New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Slocum Memorial Fountain
The Slocum was a triple-decker wooden ship built in 1891, named after General Henry Warner Slocum (1827-1894) who commanded the extreme right line of the Union Army at Gettysburg and represented the City of Brooklyn in Congress for three terms. It was one of nearly a dozen excursion steamers that traveled around New York waterways, enabling working class people to escape the city even if just for a few hours. On its final voyage, the Slocum was to vary its normal two trips to the Rockaways in order to bring a large party to Locust Grove on Long Island.
The approximately 1,300 passengers and 35 member crew included the congregation of St. Markís Evangelical Lutheran Church, located on 6th Street near 2nd Avenue, who were en route to their seventeenth annual picnic. As it was a weekday, the majority of the German immigrants and people of
Twenty minutes after the ship departed the Third Street pier on the East River, it entered the ever treacherous junction of the East River, New York Harbor and Long Island Sound. There it was overtaken not by the current but by flames and Captain William Van Schaik docked, shortly after 10AM, at North Brother Island, near Rikerís Island. Of the more than 1,000 people who died, many were buried in the Lutheran cemetery in Middle Village, Queens, where a monument was erected in 1905 to honor the unidentified dead. The disaster was the fatal end of a ship with a history of accidents and was attributed to inadequate safety precautions and the negligence of the Captain.
The Slocum Memorial Fountain by sculptor Bruno Louis Zimm was donated by the Sympathy Society of German Ladies and installed in Tompkins Square Park, a central feature of the neighborhood. The nine foot upright stele is made of pink Tennessee marble with a low relief of two children looking seaward as well as a lionhead spout. Zimm, who was a member of the Woodstock Artists Colony, also designed a similar fountain, the Womenís Health Protective Monument, located at 116th Street and Riverside Drive, and the frieze on the pediment of the Fine Arts building in San Francisco.
The monument was restored in 1991 under a Parks capital project. In 1990 a Slocum Memorial Fountain Fund in excess of $6000 was raised by popular subscription by the Slocum Memorial Committee which as been succeeded by the Maritime Industry Museum at Fort Schuyler, site of the SUNY maritime College, in The Bronx. The funds are held by the Municipal Art Society as part of New York Cityís Adopt-A-Monument program.
Location. 40° 43.616′ N, 73° 58.882′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from East 9th Street. Touch for map. within Tompkins Square Park. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charlie Parker Residence (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Slocum Disaster Centennial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Allen Ginsberg (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stuyvesant Polyclinic (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ukranian Americans World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Petrus Stuyvesant (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Markís in-the-Bowery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Disasters • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Last updated on February 21, 2018, by T. Patton of Jefferson, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.