Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Historic Use of Ceremonial Mounds
Eyewitness accounts of American Indians using ceremonial mound centers are very rare. In 1704, French colonists witnessed the funeral rites for a female Natchez chief at the Grand Village. The Natchez held a similar funeral ceremony here in 1725 for the chief called Tattooed Serpent. Both included the sacrifice of the chiefs' spouses and servants to accompany the dead leaders into the afterlife. Today, archaeologists use these Grand Village observations to interpret what might have happened at some prehistoric mound sites. The Natchez began constructing mounds at this location around A.D. 1200. The mounds served as bases for the houses of chiefs and sacred buildings.
Location. 31° 31.377′ N, 91° 22.785′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker can be reached from Jeff Davis Boulevard north of South Temple Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Jeff Davis Boulevard, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Conflict with the French (a few steps from this marker); Three Archaeological Excavations Historical Archaeology - the Chief's House and Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Road to Fort Rosalie (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Native Structures (about 500 feet away); Historic Plaza (about 500 feet away); St. Catherine Creek (about 500 feet away); Ceremonial Center (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Historic Grand Village of the Natchez site.
Categories. • Native Americans •
More. Search the internet for Historic Use of Ceremonial Mounds.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 6, 2018.